Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Recommend a good drill press...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Recommend a good drill press...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a good drill press...

Guys,
The local Home Depot doesn't have any drill press units. At least not on display.
Lowes has one or two models, but I know there is something out there better.
What model press is good for R/C?
Don't want anything too cheap. I prefer quality tools, but they don't have to be top of the line either. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:40 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Drill Press

Have you looked at Sears Hardware. I saw a nice one there this week.
Lee
Old 07-06-2003, 02:13 AM
Paul Cataldo

Have not made it out there. They actually closed the Sears that is nearby a while back, but there is another I will check out. Kind of forgot about them!

P.S.
Have any of you guys tried the Dremel Drill Press Attachment? It is definitely not big enough for some jobs, but I was wondering about opinions on it too.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Lee Belew

Default Drill Press

Have you looked at Harbor Freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

Good luck
Lee
Old 07-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Borzak

I buy a LOT of my tools at Harbor Freight. They have a shop here locally and have a lot of stuff. A lot of it is "low end" stuff but the actual power tools are pretty good plus they carry a lot of power tools in sizes for modelers - like 4inch table saws (serioiusly) and small bandsaws etc...

Take a look at Grizzly on the web as well. I just bought a new bench power sander from Harbor freight while on sale during the July 4th holiday and got home. It's the EXACT same one grizzly had for 1/2 the price....
Old 07-06-2003, 03:13 PM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Been using a Harbor Freight table size drill press for going on 6 years for my RC and small scale home projects. Has been real durable and am quite happy with it.

And, these are quite reasonably priced - typically about $50, though from time to time you see them on sale for around $40.

Take care,
Old 07-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Paul Cataldo

Klumsy Kid,
I looked at all of their drill presses, and saw one for $69.99. Nothing for $50 or under. Is this the model you are talking about?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44506
Old 07-06-2003, 03:26 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I have had a Craftsman drill press (Sears) for 20+ years and it is still going strong. It is a bench top model with 3 speeds. Their bench top tools are ideal for model work and best of all if you need a part it is only a phone call away. I have their band saw, belt sander and Jig saw also. The band saw has cut more wing ribs than I can remember, and in 15 years I have only had to replace a blade guide bearing. Craftsman stands behind its products and I have never had one become a problem. Try getting parts from Harbor Freight 2 or 3 years after you buy one of their drills!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:09 PM
turbines
My Feedback: (9)

I just bought a Delta 16.5 " at Lowe's. The price was 299.00 less tax. I kinda shopped around for the features and price. This press has a 3/4 hp motor. It runs very smooth and the chuck will accept bits that are a lot smaller than 1/16". One would think that the name Delta would imply made in the USA, but it is not, this carries true for a lot of power tools with USA names.
I was considering the Grizzly line but when I added it up the Delta bought locally came out on top.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:30 AM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Paul,

The link you cite shows the same model drill press I have - bench top, 5 speed, 1/2 inch capacity chuck, etc.

I get flyers from Harbor Freight and there is also a local Harbor Freight outlet. The price isn't always as good as I quoted, but about 2 or 3 times a year they will issue a sale flyer. Sometimes the drill press will show up on these.

Did a little more digging and checked with a friend. The $40 drill press I saw was actually available through Cummins - these folks have an on the move operation - a couple of semi trucks will show up at a local American Legion or VFW about once a year. They will have flyers in the local paper a couple of days before they arrive. The tools are all made in China - some labels used to be USA brands, but you know how it goes these days. The tools are similar to what you see in Harbor Freight.

Take care,
Old 07-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Borzak

Harbor Freight had a sale over the 4th weekend and had a nice benchtop drill press for $39. I almost bought it to keep in my RC shop (which has AC and is small) compared to my big shop which has no AC but all the good stuff in it.

Harbor Freight carries a LOT of stuff they don't seem to have lsited on thier website, at least the walk in stores do.

You can look here they have micro sized and benchtop tools galore specially made for modelers, but not cabinet stand up stuff like band saws etc....

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/
Old 07-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

When shopping for a drill press look carefully at depth of travel. Some of the cheaper ones will not go as deep into the work. You will realize the mistake really quick. I did.