Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dumbert thing you have heard in rc shop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dumbert thing you have heard in rc shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM
jermpool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumbert thing you have heard in rc shop

I went today to buy a brushless system for my SC10. After much debate i had decided to go with the traxxas velineon because its water proof. I get there and they are real busy so i go ahead and grab the box and Im kinda standing there waiting. I notice a guy with a 4x4 slash and that it has the velineon so I ask him if he likes it. He says yeah I told him I was about to buy the same set up for my truck and show him the box. He asks me "you use gas or electric?" That is another argument for my RTRs being bad for the hobby.
can anyone top that one?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Dumbert thing you have heard in rc shop

One of both the dumbest, and yet in away funniest things I ever heard at a rc shop was two rc electric car guys telling each other a funny story/joke about another racer...

I don't recall the long buildup about how dumb the other guy was..but the ultimate humor of the story was the punchline... And the punchline was a motor winding number..something like ..

Oh my god did you see what Joe Blow ran in that last race? a 16-4 !!!! and at that they both died laughing..

It is definitaly a sign of being hardcore when that is hysterical !

ahhh good times...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dumbest thing was a guy coming in wanting to buy a whole new radio setup, and electronics because his little nephew broke his stock set
I'm preetty sure it was a traxxas electric.
guy was ranting and raving on his nephew saying how he'll never be near his RCs again for costing him so much money.
shop keepr grabbed his remote and flipped the channel reverse switch and said good bye and put the stuff back on the shelf. The guys face turned red and he ran out.

Also saw a guy come in and start a argument about how there ripping people off caus he can buy the same thing t radio shack for $50. Seriously the guy was getting extremely loud about it clerk said goto toys r us and buy that piece of crap and once you break anything on it go buy another and another vs $4 for the part like on these. Guy stormed out madder than hell

Shop I goto some of the workers have attitudes and are all smart asses which is why I like that shop
Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in my LHS about a month ago and a dude wandered in wanting to return a stampede because it "malfunctioned", the kid behind the counter goes to open the box and hes like "well what do you need to see it for?", the kid tells him he needs to make sure its actually in the box. He opens it and finds a stampede that looked like it got run over, apparently the dude lost signal, it ran out into traffic and got clipped by a car. Anyways the kid says he cant take a damaged truck back, the dude loses it and starts screaming about how "traxx" was poor quality and all this other dribble. After 5 mins of arguing he asks for the manager, the owner comes out. The owner tells him that he will not take back a damaged truck. The dude screams a few profanities and storms out, leaving his stampede on the counter. I think the stampede is still somewhere in the back of the store.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol that's unreal. Someone actually tried accusing the LHS owner of ripping people off?

and lol about that Pede. Hobby grade is durable, not indestructable.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: jermpool
I notice a guy with a 4x4 slash and that it has the velineon so I ask him if he likes it. He says yeah I told him I was about to buy the same set up for my truck and show him the box. He asks me ''you use gas or electric?'' That is another argument for my RTRs being bad for the hobby.
I'm pretty sure he thought you were a n00b, and was making sure you weren't about to buy a brushless system to drop into your nitro vehicle.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Access

Dumbest thing I heard was at a shop with a track out back. Guy who kept arguing with a shop employee, claiming the employee had broken his truck and now he couldn't get the body off to fix it. In the end it was the guy not understanding that there were these things called body clips and that you have to remove all the body clips before trying to remove the body. The employee had tried to explain this to him but he just didn't get it. Guy was just like a broken record, he kept saying 'you broke my truck... you broke my truck...' and then at some point he said he wasn't going to come back and left. After he left, everyone else in the shop, we pretty much all looked at each other and laughed.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 AM
ratdaddy

Guy brings in a Duratrax Evader and loudly announces that the LHS sold him this piece o junk and he wants his money back.
He claims he took it out of the box and the front shock was leaking oil. (stock plastic one..not oil filled) Then he said he drive it for 5 minutes and the wires were melting and it won't even run.
The shop owner points to a sign that says "we don't know what you do in your back yard, so no returns on RC's"
So the guy gets louder and and starts causing a scene. The shop owner finally tells the guy he'll give him $30 credit towards any other purchase.
 I walked up and said If you don't mind I'll give you $40 for it, just to ease the situation.
The guy says Fine and I flip out $40. He gives the shop owner my cash and his credit card and buys a RTR Brushless Lipo Something.
I called the guys attention over to the Evader and PLUGGED the motor connections in. They were melted because they weren't even connected fully. I said "I'm not trying to be a smarty but here was your problem, if your connections are loose they build up heat."

He turned beat red and says, "I'm a union electrician, I should have known that."

Been driving the Evader now for months with no problems.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:15 AM
lez1troubles

I went to the LHS to get some shock oil and the lady behind the counter gives me a diff oil for an FG, said they always use that oil for there cars.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard the term "Dumbert" before
Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 AM
thirdcliff
My Feedback: (38)

At the LHS where I am from, I witnessed a man holding a static model (like the ones you snap together and paint - no electrics) and he was trying to ask how to make it into an RC model to the sales rep.  The sales rep was being a nice guy about it, but trying to politely explain that it was fairly impossible.  The man kept trying to push the idea, as if it would be easy.  Finally, after some driveshaft and transmission discussion, the man still did not quite grasp the intensity of the project he was imagining.  I still think he left the store thinking it could happen.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: ratdaddy

Guy brings in a Duratrax Evader and loudly announces that the LHS sold him this piece o junk and he wants his money back.
He claims he took it out of the box and the front shock was leaking oil. (stock plastic one..not oil filled) Then he said he drive it for 5 minutes and the wires were melting and it won't even run.
The shop owner points to a sign that says ''we don't know what you do in your back yard, so no returns on RC's''
So the guy gets louder and and starts causing a scene. The shop owner finally tells the guy he'll give him $30 credit towards any other purchase.
I walked up and said If you don't mind I'll give you $40 for it, just to ease the situation.
The guy says Fine and I flip out $40. He gives the shop owner my cash and his credit card and buys a RTR Brushless Lipo Something.
I called the guys attention over to the Evader and PLUGGED the motor connections in. They were melted because they weren't even connected fully. I said ''I'm not trying to be a smarty but here was your problem, if your connections are loose they build up heat.''

He turned beat red and says, ''I'm a union electrician, I should have known that.''

UNION electrician....explains it all
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
jermpool

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Never heard the term ''Dumbert'' before

hey me neither, I need to proof read a little better.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 PM
DarkFire989

2 guys were arguing what was a better racer. Revo or a Savage. Hmmmm.......[&:]
Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it wasnt that long ago that the co-owner of my LHS tried to sell me his USED losi strike for $150. just a couple of weeks later they dropped the price of the NEW strikes down to $150. me thinks he knew it was going to happen

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

<div>i walk into the hobby shop, i get stuck behind a kid (he was maybe 12) with a rustler.  neither the guy behind the counter nor the kid could figure out why the motor in this kids truck wouldn't turn.  after about 5 seconds i noticed that the kid had replaced the motor screws with wood screws.  i knew the screws were the problem but being a jerk and not liking kids or traxxas i kept my mouth shut.  after a few minutes of waiting in line i got pissed, said the motor screws had been changed, take them out they are to long.  confused the guy behind the counter gets a screwdriver and takes the screws out.  those suckers had to be an inch long!  the kid pops off and said he changed the scerws and used a power drill to install them because the stock screws kept coming loose.  they had messed up the magnets and the arm.  idk what was more shocking the kids dumb move or the fact that the professional behind the counter couldn't figure it out</div><div> </div><div><div>dumb/funny was when by buddy got his 1/8 buggy.  he was driving it in the street in front of his house.  gets bored, drives it into his garage, stops, and then turns off the radio.  the servos do that no power twitch/center thing.  car takes off at about half throttle and crashed into his moms new washing machine.  dented the washing machine and shattered the rc's bumper</div></div><div> </div><div>a lot of the "what car should i get?" threads iv read over the years have been pretty dumb.  the worst one was probably 10-12 years ago, the kid couldn't decide if he should get a 1/12 pan car or a nitro monster truck.</div><div> </div><div>iv herd stories at the hobby shop about kids pouring gasoline into a nitro cars fuel tank and trying to run it.  </div><div>people trying to start nitro's with no glow igniter.  </div><div>a mom buys her son a car.  they get it home and can't figure out how or where the battery's went.  so they take the car and a bunch of AA's to the hobby shop to ask</div>
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: ratdaddy

He claims he took it out of the box and the front shock was leaking oil. (stock plastic one..not oil filled) Then he said he drive it for 5 minutes and the wires were melting and it won't even run.
The shop owner points to a sign that says ''we don't know what you do in your back yard, so no returns on RC's''
The guy says Fine and I flip out $40. He gives the shop owner my cash and his credit card and buys a RTR Brushless Lipo Something.
I called the guys attention over to the Evader and PLUGGED the motor connections in. They were melted because they weren't even connected fully. I said ''I'm not trying to be a smarty but here was your problem, if your connections are loose they build up heat.''

He turned beat red and says, ''I'm a union electrician, I should have known that.''

i cant fight the erge to correct you on one thing, the evader comes with oil filled shocks.

the dumbest thing rc related i have ever heard was one of the millions of nitro vs electric threads where it literally kept going in the same circle. "electric is faster" "nitro is better" "the fastest rc in the world is electric" "so? its easy to add volts. nitro is still better" "no, electric is better" "then why is 1/8 scale nitro buggy the biggest class?" "electric is faster" repeat that for 10 pages before a mod closed it.

i must admit, i enjoy reading those types of threads. they get so funny...
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Blkft1

Not really dumb [maybe dumb] but kind'a weird.
I was in a LHS one weekend I frequent often and know the owner quite well,being a weekend during Xmas it was busy.A younger dude [20-ish] and his GF walked in and asked the owner [whom I was innocently standing next to] what would be a good first Rc car/truck to buy himself.Owner suggested a T or E Maxx since they are RTR and he would be more than happy to get him started,matter of fact alot of the regulars that were there that day instantaneously suggested the same and offered help too.They were all just trying to be helpful and friendly plus more people enjoying the hobby the better.
I'm not sure if this dude had anger issues but he started getting SERIOUSLY upset like they were forcing him into buy something.For some reason he focused his anger torwards me [I innocently didn't suggest anything!?!] and started getting loud and threatening,I just kept my face blank and stared at him calmly [confused also].He and his GF [who tagged long quietly] started walking out the door while he yelled profanities at me and called me out ,said he was going to "Beat My _ _ _!!".Well,,,I'm not the type to fight but can take care of myself if pushed so figured I'd have some fun and headed out the door also,it was time to go home anyways.
He was still making verbal threats at me when they reached thier car which was next too mine,thier passenger side was next to my drivers side.As I was briskly walking [Xmas season=cold outside!] towards my door reaching into my hoodie pocket,I was in my usual HoodRat motif cuz I was off that weekend.He hurriedly jump into the passenger side of thier car,STILL MAKING THREATS sayin he would BEAT MY _ _ _!!!.As I walked passed his open door which he quickly slammed shut I pulled my keys from the pocket of my hoodie got into my car started up,idled and looked at him [blank face still].
As his GF hurriedly started thier car and pulled away he was spittin' and fogging up his window STILL yelling/threatening me and then flippin' me off,by that time I just smiled at him and pulled away in the oposite direction. I still can't figure out what his problem was or why he focused on me,I did feel sorry for his GF having to deal with that crap but hey,,,she's a big girl.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumquat

the dumbest thing rc related i have ever heard was one of the millions of nitro vs electric threads where it literally kept going in the same circle. ''electric is faster'' ''nitro is better'' ''the fastest rc in the world is electric'' ''so? its easy to add volts. nitro is still better'' ''no, electric is better'' ''then why is 1/8 scale nitro buggy the biggest class?'' ''electric is faster'' repeat that for 10 pages before a mod closed it.

i must admit, i enjoy reading those types of threads. they get so funny...
some times they get funny. I love when the anti-nitro band wagon starts acting like they know anything about nitro(honestly I'd say 95% of them never touched it), and saying insanely absurd lies about nitro. One of my favorites complete BS reasons a member hated nitros was saying nitros needed a fuel pump like a 1:1 car does to get the nitro to the engine, and thats why they sucked
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
AlienModified
My Feedback: (1)

Here's one. This was actually from the guy that worked at the lhs, who supposedly knows what he's talking about. I went in with my Speed-NT because it kept frying spur gears, and I wanted to know why. He sat there and tried to convince me that the plastic cup that goes over the slipper plate (between the spring and plate) was spinning, and not grabbing the slipper plate. I asked him how that could be possible, since it was sandwiched between two parts that could only move at the same speed. He insisted that was the problem, and that there was nothing he could do, without ordering a whole new assembly.

I walked out of the store dumbfounded by how this guy talked like he knew everything, yet could tell me this. It turns out that my mesh was off by just a hair. When the gear teeth sheared off, they sheared all the way down, and I had just set the mesh with a piece of paper a couple days before. I fixed that and wow, that plastic cup hasn't been an issue since.