Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hello...Kinda new here and just got a BJ55.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hello...Kinda new here and just got a BJ55.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
1MoreMinute
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello...Kinda new here and just got a BJ55.

Hello, Mike here and Ive been here lurking for sometime and sold a Enforcer to a guy on here a couple years ago. So kinda new to posting. This is my 3rd gasoline boat, the other 2 were WHs boats, just never hung onto them for awhile. This one I wanna make fast!

Anyways, Ive read some things but like to know how current BJ55 owners (and others that had them!) like their boats and the mods that are good?

I don't really know where the online hot spots are for finding parts for this boat. Ive searched but wanted to see if I'm missing any good ones.

As in title, I just bought this boat from a buddy of mine and hes also including a modded motor for it so eventually I will be putting that in.

I live on the water (Salt) and go out on the Gulf alot to the sandbars, islands etc. And will be bringing it out to the spots we hang at. So I know I have to flush and wash off everything when I am done.

Ill get some pics tomorrow. But its just stock so you guys know what she looks like!

Just wanted to say Hi and see whats ya guys gotta say about this boat. Post some pics of yours also please!

Ill be making mods and posting them so Ill have some questions for ya!!

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
mistycreekboats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hello...Kinda new here and just got a BJ55.

often wondered why the don't have a ProBoat thread like the Warehouse Hobbies thread ..... seems to be a aweful lot of boaters start with Pro Boat ... I'm sure someone will chime in on Pro Boat for ya

Cheers and Welcome to hobby
Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM
1MoreMinute

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

often wondered why the don't have a ProBoat thread like the Warehouse Hobbies thread ..... seems to be a aweful lot of boaters start with Pro Boat ... I'm sure someone will chime in on Pro Boat for ya

Cheers and Welcome to hobby

Thanks for the welcome.

That would be cool if their was a thread like that.

This boat has sat for a couple months and the motor was almost impossible to crank over without feeling like she wanted to rip out the boat. Took the motor out to inspect and got it to turn over and oiled it up.

Where can I get aftermarket parts for this one boat and motor? I looked on the Horizon site and all they got is stock. Id like to see whats available in upgrades as I plan on doing a few.

Cool boats yall have here. Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
wannagofast115

Hello and welcome to the forum and gas boats I can see the addiction has already started lol. There is a thread all about the BJ55 here ya go. Good luck with your boat.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...ey=blackjack55
Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
avconslt
My Feedback: (22)

Hi Mike,

Maybe I can answer a few of your questions. I recently traded an Align Trex 500 helicopter for a nearly new Pro Boat 55†Blackjack Cat and custom aluminum trailer. I really wanted an Arrow Shark 57†“Fighter†Cat, but the trade opportunity was just too good to turn down. What I liked most about the Arrow Shark Fighter Cat was that it came with a 6.5 H.P. Zenoah Billet XP254M engine with a springless clutch. It also had an onboard electric starter available for it. All of which was available separately. So, the first thing I did was order the Arrow Shark XP254M engine with the springless clutch, onboard starter and their header and tuned pipe. I also order an Aero Marine replacement rudder kit and had Chris over at Dasboata make me up two balanced and sharpened 6717/3 props. I also had Chris upgrade the strut to take 1/4†prop shaft, instead of the 3/16†prop shaft and bushing that comes with it. You will find in reading the threads on the Pro Boat 55†Blackjack here on the forum and on other forums that the main knock on the Blackjack was the clutch, which did not last very long because the springs break. Well, by adding the springless clutch, which is similar to the helicopter clutches which do not fail that eliminated the primary problem with all of the boat clutches. Also, the rudders were weak and the water pick up tubes caused turbulence in front of the rudders. Also, I read that some of the boaters out there did not like the fact that the stringers were epoxied in and not fiberglassed. So, if you want to, just remove the engine fuel tank and battery box and put some fiberglass strips along both sides of the stringers to reinforce them. Personally, I have not had any problems with the epoxied stringers! I also added some trim tabs on mine, even though I was informed on the forum that it was not necessary on the cats. However, years ago I had a full size Chris Cat 30’ that had twin engines and did have hydraulically operated trim tabs that came in very handy to trim the boat out. There are many opinions, here on the forum, as to how to correct for prop walking and the boat running too dry or too wet. Like offsetting the rudder or cupping the prop or moving the strut up or down, etc. However, with the trim tabs all I have to do is put one or the other down a bit to correct the tendency to turn one way or the other, and put both trim tabs up or down a little to make the boat run wetter or drier depending on the water conditions, etc. Not all cats allow a place to put the trim tabs, but the Blackjack does. I do agree that the trim tabs probably are not necessary, but do work for me and the look cool! The boat has some Styrofoam in the nose, but I am adding some noodles along the sides for more buoyancy. I am also putting some pieces under the hatch cover, so it won’t sink if it should ever come off. I also recommend adding a little muffler to the tuned pipe to help keep the noise down. After adding all of the new stuff the boat balanced out perfect at between 17†and 17 ½â€, which is the recommend 31-32% of the hull length. I am sure that there are a lot of boats out there that are better then the Pro Boats, but with a few adds and a little work you can make them perform very close to the high dollar custom hulls! I will have to say that for a RTR boat I am very impressed with the way this boat handles.

Richard
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

i ran my BJ55 for about 2 years and slowly upgraded things while having a blast along the way.after 2 years i stripped everything except the exhaust system out of it1 and put it in a conquest.i wouldn't trade that boat and the experience i got for anything.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
1MoreMinute

ORIGINAL: wannagofast115

Hello and welcome to the forum and gas boats I can see the addiction has already started lol. There is a thread all about the BJ55 here ya go. Good luck with your boat.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...ey=blackjack55

Thanks very much for that link, I have alot of reading to do!! I get addicted to whatever hobby I am in, kinda stinks cause it gets expensive!! But its all in the fun and my son loves it so its good for him.

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
1MoreMinute

ORIGINAL: avconslt

Hi Mike,

Maybe I can answer a few of your questions. I recently traded an Align Trex 500 helicopter for a nearly new Pro Boat 55†Blackjack Cat and custom aluminum trailer. I really wanted an Arrow Shark 57†“Fighter†Cat, but the trade opportunity was just too good to turn down. What I liked most about the Arrow Shark Fighter Cat was that it came with a 6.5 H.P. Zenoah Billet XP254M engine with a springless clutch. It also had an onboard electric starter available for it. All of which was available separately. So, the first thing I did was order the Arrow Shark XP254M engine with the springless clutch, onboard starter and their header and tuned pipe. I also order an Aero Marine replacement rudder kit and had Chris over at Dasboata make me up two balanced and sharpened 6717/3 props. I also had Chris upgrade the strut to take 1/4†prop shaft, instead of the 3/16†prop shaft and bushing that comes with it. You will find in reading the threads on the Pro Boat 55†Blackjack here on the forum and on other forums that the main knock on the Blackjack was the clutch, which did not last very long because the springs break. Well, by adding the springless clutch, which is similar to the helicopter clutches which do not fail that eliminated the primary problem with all of the boat clutches. Also, the rudders were weak and the water pick up tubes caused turbulence in front of the rudders. Also, I read that some of the boaters out there did not like the fact that the stringers were epoxied in and not fiberglassed. So, if you want to, just remove the engine fuel tank and battery box and put some fiberglass strips along both sides of the stringers to reinforce them. Personally, I have not had any problems with the epoxied stringers! I also added some trim tabs on mine, even though I was informed on the forum that it was not necessary on the cats. However, years ago I had a full size Chris Cat 30’ that had twin engines and did have hydraulically operated trim tabs that came in very handy to trim the boat out. There are many opinions, here on the forum, as to how to correct for prop walking and the boat running too dry or too wet. Like offsetting the rudder or cupping the prop or moving the strut up or down, etc. However, with the trim tabs all I have to do is put one or the other down a bit to correct the tendency to turn one way or the other, and put both trim tabs up or down a little to make the boat run wetter or drier depending on the water conditions, etc. Not all cats allow a place to put the trim tabs, but the Blackjack does. I do agree that the trim tabs probably are not necessary, but do work for me and the look cool! The boat has some Styrofoam in the nose, but I am adding some noodles along the sides for more buoyancy. I am also putting some pieces under the hatch cover, so it won’t sink if it should ever come off. I also recommend adding a little muffler to the tuned pipe to help keep the noise down. After adding all of the new stuff the boat balanced out perfect at between 17†and 17 ½â€, which is the recommend 31-32% of the hull length. I am sure that there are a lot of boats out there that are better then the Pro Boats, but with a few adds and a little work you can make them perform very close to the high dollar custom hulls! I will have to say that for a RTR boat I am very impressed with the way this boat handles.

Richard
Wow, thanks for taking out the time to tell me all of this. Ive read from the above link about things your taking about not being so great with the BJ. But like you said a little work and mods and itll be a great boat. Im excited as well as my 10 year old son. We live on the water and when I take my regular boat out I will have this BJ in the boat for the sand bar, Island and flats to have some fun and let him and the wife run it.

I have plenty of questions comming up here shortly, but Ill ask them when Im getting ready to do what I want to do with this boat.

A couple of questions I have now is, Where do I get a tach from to mount in the boat, and a GPS? Ive seen people use them but dont know the places to get them. Id like to know where all you guys shop as far as the internet goes.

Thanks so much again for your reply and help so far.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
1MoreMinute

ORIGINAL: black talon

i ran my BJ55 for about 2 years and slowly upgraded things while having a blast along the way.after 2 years i stripped everything except the exhaust system out of it1 and put it in a conquest.i wouldn't trade that boat and the experience i got for anything.
Awesome man, thanks
By the time I get done with this one I can see alot of aftermarket parts on it and a better motor!! speaking of which I just picked up (it was included in the deal) and have no clue what it is and neither does the guy who gave it to me! It was a mock up motor for another boat (brand new motor) and is huge compared to whats in it stock. I will snap a picture and post it here a little later on to see if anyone can ID it for me.

Thanks for your response.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
1MoreMinute

One more question.

I thought I read this somewheres but I might be confusing another boats thread.

Is there a kit or something that I can use to relocate this gas tank to the front, in front of the motor? I thought I read that someone did it on the BJ and now cannot find what boat or where I read it.

If anyone has done it please post some pictures if you have them, Id like to see it visually.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

alot of people use baxter iv bags.do a search and it will show you how to set it up.it stops water from contaminating your fuel if you flip(and you will flip)