Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Melted my Plastic Spur gear.....Question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
RazurBlackz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted my Plastic Spur gear.....Question??

It was probably my fault, I was running really hard semi tall grass with a sandy base. Will going to a vented clutch bell keep the clutch bell temps lower to prevent spur from melting in the future. Also. should I stay with the stock Teflon
clutch shoes or are the Aluminum shoesbetter and worth the extra price? I prefer the plastic spurs to prevent other more expensive drive train damage.
RB
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Umar M

Default RE: Melted my Plastic Spur gear.....Question??

could you show a picture of the spur? thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 05:35 PM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

melted spur could be a few things 1. gear mesh not right  2. clutch shoes not dissengaging properly and like you said running in grass. a vented bell may help but probably not enough to solve the problem you are having. i to myself prefer the nylon gears but i also like the steel
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
SavagedXXL

I prefer the aluminum clutch shoes because engines with a lot power need them. Now this is just my opinion here, but I always go with metal spur gears. The argument that it saves the the drivetrain doesn't work for me. You can buy a brand new Savage X SS 2 speed on ebay for $20. That's the cost of 4 plastic spur gears and over a $100+(maybe $500) of aggravation if I have change them out when I'm playing. Drivetrain parts are just too cheap for these things for me to worry about getting a spur hot and melting it if I bump the engine a little and strips one just to save a $20 transmission. I run metal spur gears tightened all the way down on all my trucks. I don't have time stripped spur gears and slipping slippers. Just my opinion, though.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

x2 on aluminum clutch shoe. The big one. Scratch that; make that three. And you need them by tonight.