Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI Nitro MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:24 PM
MeNaCe330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Nitro MT

hey guys...im new to this whole hooking up thing and stuff...im lookin fast...and i mean fast...i have a hpi nitro 15 star engine with no hook ups...i wanna kno what are some good parts to increase speed...i kno i need to buy a new body(bought it used and the body is busted) and some new wheels(since i changed the tires from dirt to street and i dun wanna keep switching) i just wanna kno some good parts to hook up my car...any ideas?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HPI Nitro MT

you want fast.. you want a 18-21 in there.. mind you.. that's going to kill the car.... I have the 15 in there.. and it has decent speed... you keeping it on road.. you want a 2 speed in it.. .. you can't take it offroad anymore if you put a 2 speed into it.

you want aluminum hop ups.. like arms and bell cranks etc etc.. shock towers.. there are plenty out there.. just look around...

you want torque.. you buy the four stroke OS -FS 4 stroke motor for cars.. there is a engine mount kit specifically designed to mount the 4 stroke onto the Nitro MT. I say go up to a .18 engine.. that's what I'm doing.. your going to need engine mounts. to do that though.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:36 PM
MeNaCe330

is this pricey? and what brand engine...gimme soem exact specs...lol im a noob to all this...i just want a little hobby till i get my car in 7 months
Old 09-17-2003, 03:38 PM
MeNaCe330

also what do you mean kill my car? i mean this isnt for racing...just show off...and whats the exact body specs...i dunno them
Old 09-17-2003, 04:26 PM
dmgiff

Otterball, why can't you take it off road anymore with a 2-speed?? Just curious.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:45 PM
MadTripper

.. you can't take it offroad anymore if you put a 2 speed into it.

I'm interested in this also since I have a two-speed that I run exclusively off-road. I realize there isn't any slip to it but I've had 0 problems and it just screams everywhere. I also have a .15 OS in it which is a great match for this vehicle.

Tripper
Old 09-17-2003, 07:52 PM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

im not sure but i have read not to use 2 speeds offroad
probly because when u land jumps it can get destroyed if you land at the wrong speed ie on the change (with no slipper cluch)etc

yet the MAD FORCE has a three speed
Old 09-17-2003, 10:41 PM
jsswcks

if u put any higher output motor other than stock youll need to replace front and rear tranny gears with hardened ones if u do that u should be good to go on putting what ever motor u want . i put a xtm 18 in mine wth hardend gears it halls ***** and also 14 tooth bell
Old 09-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Kuma

The HPI 12R SS does nicely with the Nitro MT, lots of speed, but a good .18 like the EPIC or even a 21 which will be hard on the drivetrain would give you plenty of speed. I personally want to go to .21 but don't want to end up breaking tons of parts on the truck.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:04 AM
otterball21

Ok.. Ya.. the two speed.. it would strip if you did a jump and your clutch bell was still spinning.... it would strip the spur gears

I have a metal spur gear with a slipper.. the metal gear is making the clutch bell strip instead.. it's pretty goofy

Well the 4 stroke has crazy torque.. it's like 200 dollars
the motor mount is like 90 dollars
but crazy torque

Like Jswck's said.. you need hardened differentials... (where are these harden differentials? I can't find them)

18-21 engines run you from like 150-200 bucks

and aluminum hop up parts.. each one is like usually 15-30 dollars.. like a pair of arms.... cvd's... etc etc. look around!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 AM
MeNaCe330

ight kool thanxs...also like i said b4 what are some body specs for the car...like which bodies wit it 190mm, 200mm, etc. and do they have to be truck bodies...can they be like lotus elise and stuff??
Old 09-18-2003, 11:24 AM
otterball21

it can fix 200 mm touring cars.. if you cut the crap out of it... I have a 200mm Bolink body the best bet to cover the whole truck is use a truck body.. but I decided to be different and I have a old school fastback mustang body on it.. it doesn't look too bad..