Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dle 30 response

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dle 30 response

Hi,

I was flying a Dle 30 on a Sbach 300 GW on Sunday. In the previous week we had set up the throttle curve by the onboard tach. Subsequently I had added a bit of down thrust to the engine and installed a Jtec Pitts wraparound muffler instead on the stock to allow cowl fitting. This changed the throttle trim slightly. So on Sunday we changed the multipoint curve to get a more smooth response but we didnt use a tach this time. There was a lot of rain on Sunday, so I couldnt do much flying. Basically, I just did a couple of low passes. Also due to the weather, we couldnt set up the airplane properly either. During the low pass, I felt the airplane nearing stall and added 3 clicks of power. However, nothing seemed to happen and I had to add more power to fly out. Now, I am not sure whether this was a throttle setting problem or that I am more used to glow engines. I have the engine with its needles still set at factory. Just wanted to know why is the engine response so retarded? Is it a throttle setup issue or a engine characteristic for the dle30?

Ameyam
Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Dle 30 response

Ameyam,
Needles still set at factory settings?

Step one. Start engine.
Step two. Adjust needles.

If you have been getting by to this point running the factory settings (that are intended to have the engine set close enough to start only) it's been purely luck. The factory does not intend to set those needles to the point the engine can be flown using them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

In short

Tune the high needle with a tach for max rpm then back it off 2 hundred rpm or so

Tune the low needle for clean throttle response, where it can idle for a little then take throttle without stumbling.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to tune the engine. Factory settings are a very rough