Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

dope help???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

dope help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:21 AM
David74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dope help???

I just bought 2 cans of clear dope from GRIP Products UK ( the only one taht I can find where I live!). Now I have a few questions for you:
1-Is GRIP butyrate or nitrate dope? ( there is no indication on the can!) but it says I can clean brushes in cellulose thinner.
2-Where I live I can't find cellulose thinner, what would be the alternative to cellulose thinner? Would nitrate thinner work for both nitrate and butyrate dope?
3-If this dope is butyrate which paint could I use over it? polyurethane, acrilic, nitro..all?

help!!!
thank you
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: dope help???

David:
Butyrate dope is fuel proof, nitrate isn't. Paint some on a piece of scrap, let it dry for a couple of days. Put some fuel on it. if it goes sticky it's nitrate. If it stays hard, it's butyrate. If I remember right You can butyrate thinner with nitrate but not the other way around.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only paint that will be satisfactory over butyrate, is butyrate. Anything else will carck, as butyrate continues to shrink FOREVER.

Les
Old 10-02-2003, 12:33 PM
David74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you

....umh... forgive my ignorance, is a nitrocellulose thinner the same thing as a cellulose thinner?
..and could I use pure acetone to thin the dope?

thank you
david
Old 10-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David:
I think they are both (types) of celulose dope. The proper name of nitrate dope is Nitrocelulose dope. The proper name of butyrate is Celulose acetate butyrate. Although it doesn't help much. Not sure about the acetone. Try to mix a bit in a small bottle. If it's butyrate thinner with nitrate dope, it won't mix and will go into a lumpy ball.