Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

The best of the mini R/C helis?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

The best of the mini R/C helis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Ric
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best of the mini R/C helis?

I can count at least 3 R/C helicopters in the Humming Bird class/size. Which of these do you think is the best, in terms of design, quality, durability, parts availability, ease for beginners, [sm=confused.gif]or whatever?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:02 AM
rscamp

Default RE: The best of the mini R/C helis?

I have no practical experience with them but my research suggests the Hummingbird is probably the best choice for durability and ease for beginners. The supplied motors aren't great though. If micro helis are anything like the larger electric helis, brushless is the way to go. I wonder when a brushless motor suitable for the tail will be available. [8D]

Rob
Old 10-11-2003, 03:42 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: The best of the mini R/C helis?

Durability and ease for beginners, hands down Hummingbird. I've owned a Feda, a Piccolo and the Hummingbird in the past. I've never owned a Hornet but I know for sure that it's not suited for beginners because of the design which is more complex.

The Hummingbird has a better head design which require less mods than the Piccolo, plus the Hummingbird is about the same cost as the Fun Piccolo and the Fun doesn't even come with bearings which the Hbird does. Plus the Hbird comes assembled. The Hbird when set up properly is very stable from a micro standpoint. Quite possibly the most stable. It's more stable than the Piccolo that I owned.

Micros aren't the optimum way to start for a beginner but if you did go micro, then the Hummingbird is the way to go. I've crashed mine quite a few of times and the only thing I broke was 2 main blades on seperate occasions, most of my crashes resulted in no damage at all. Plus the Hbird comes with 2 carbon boom braces which you don't need at all and you can remove them to use for spares for your landing gear and battery supports. I've never had to but heard of people breaking landing gear.

The 370 motor that comes with the kit is ok for initial learning but yea, brushless is the way to go for good power and run times plus no maintenance or hassles. A lithium pack will also make learning more fun as you get the way longer run times.