Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How do you access the choke switch with the cowl on on g-26?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How do you access the choke switch with the cowl on on g-26?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:13 AM
faisalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you access the choke switch with the cowl on on g-26?

I have installed the G-26 on my hangar9 cessna skylane. The problem is that there is no way i can access the choke switch with the cowl on. Any ideas on how to access the switch without having to remove the cowl?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:11 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you access the choke switch with the cowl on on g-26?

That's easy!

Remove the little actuating arm on the choke shaft by grinding away the metal of the shaft only with a rotary tool and grinding wheel. You will be able to wiggle the arm off with a pair of pliers, but be careful here. Bad things could happen.

Find a wheel collar that fits over the choke shaft, but instead of using a set screw, use a bolt that's the correct size and thread for the collar and about an inch long. Tighten the bolt on the collar so that you can reach through one of the air inlet holes in the cowl and move the choke with your finger.

This is only done while the engine is stopped, but be careful anyway.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you access the choke switch with the cowl on on g-26?

This may sound foolish but this is what I did with both of mine.

I made a very short Z-Bend 4-40 rod and put it in the hole and popped a small hole in my cowls directly across from the choke butterfly and ran the rod through and put an L-bend in it directly at the hole in the cowl. Works like a champ for me and you can hardly even see it and even when you do, it looks like it "belongs there" if you know what I mean.

I keep threatening to epoxy a little piece of inner tube right behind the hole in the cowl and just puncturing the rod through it to neaten it up a little more and to take away some of the vibration nut to be honest with you, it just bothers me so little that it just ain't worth the trouble. Maybe the next time I naturally have the cowls off I'll do that if I remember to.

Just a cheap and easy solution that works fine for me.