Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help, Broken screw in Glass engine mount!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help, Broken screw in Glass engine mount!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 07:59 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Broken screw in Glass engine mount!

How do I remove a broken screw in a glass filled engine mount? It is a GP 40 size mount, and I would prefer to not have to pitch it.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:33 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help, Broken screw in Glass engine mount!

If part of the screw is sticking out, simply try to unscrew it with a small pair of channel-locks. If it's broken off below the surface, where you can't get a hold of it, there's not much you can do. Is it possible to slide the motor back and drill 4 new holes? You may even be able to slide it forward and do the same thing and leave the broken part in it.

Sometimes if it's sticking up just a little, you can Dremel a slot in the broken part, and use a screwdriver to back it out.

What kind of "screw" is it? What happened? Hole too tight? In a crash? Cowled motor?

Or, buy a new one for about 3 bucks.....

Gary
Old 12-20-2003, 11:29 AM
the troll
Banned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dissolve alum (plain old alum, available in grocery stores) in hot water, soak part in glass container on stove(under a boil). Take part out once in a while and scratch off black oxides as they develop from broken screw and reaction with the alum. Slow, but safe and cheap!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:08 PM
CafeenMan

if the screw is close to flush with the top of the mount, then you can cut a slot in it with a cut-off disk in a dremel and then use a small screwdriver to back it out. Make sure the slot is deep enough that it won't shred when you put some force into turning it.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:04 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I would probably just drill it out and use a larger screw. Is thats not an option you could drill it an possibly fill it with epoxy then re-drill it.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
runover1

The head of the old screw is just below the surface. I guess if I clamped it onto my drill press, I might be able to drill it out. I might try the Dremel first though. Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I still do not know what alum is that you are to boil..
Old 12-23-2003, 02:24 PM
onewasp

You wont be able to drill out a hardened screw. Best solution----a new mount.

You may be able to drill----more accurately burn it out with a piece of brass tubing. Then you can try the epoxy fill and re-tap. I still like the new mount option for five bucks.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:44 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN'T drill a piece of metal out from a piece of plastic. Your bit will take the path of least resistance. You'll just end up breaking your bit and getting pissed off.

Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, and start over by buying a new mount.

It's not worth the aggravation.

Gary
Old 12-23-2003, 06:35 PM
the troll
Banned

maybe possible to drill new bolt holes further back and shim out mount if needed. I know a new mount does't cost much but the inconvience to go get one with the same pattern can be a pita
Old 12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
runover1

Troll, you got that right. Between work and running, I don't have a lot of time to run to the LHS and buy one. I seem to have most of my available time in the evenings when everyone is closed. I have the coolest wife though. She went to one of the LHS in the area and entered a contest drawing for up to a $500.00 gift certificate to their store. She won me a $50.00 gift certificate and I am tickled pink. Christmas is getting merrier by the minute. Maybe I will have to go there to get that mount.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:05 PM
the troll
Banned

Kewl.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:22 PM
roadman
My Feedback: (1)

You could also try a tool known as an "easy out". It is similar to a tap, but designdd for removing broken screws from a whole. It has left hand threads instead of right hand threads and is tapered. Your local Sears or similar hardware store should have one. Removal of a broken screw is as easy as drilling a small pilot hole in the center of the screw shaft and screwing the easy out in. Since it has left hand threads, it will start to remove the screw as you turn it counterclockwise and it tightens up in the screw. Keep turning and you'll get your screw out. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:53 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my take is leave it in and use only 3 holes. I did that with a plane and never had a problem. it was a gp adjustable mont with a 46fx in it. used 3 screw to hold the engine with no prob. I broke a tap in my hole though, left the tap in there.

sean
Old 01-13-2004, 05:56 PM
runover1

Hey guys, Just an update. It was barely above the mount, so I used a dremel to groove a slot and backed it out with a flat head screwdriver. I happenned to work on it today after I wrecked two others in the same day. Go figure! Thanks for everything.