Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

An alternative to speed limiters?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

An alternative to speed limiters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:05 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An alternative to speed limiters?

I have a thought, and not being a waiver holder, I have no idea what the drawbacks are. T/W has many reasons not to be used to try to limit speed. The biggest knock on speed limiters seems to be concerns about their potential failure and the interference they can cause in the flight operations. At the same time, it seems ridiculous to have a 200 mph speed limit with no way to semi-accurately determine the speed of the aircraft. Since even if speed limiters were mandated, we all know they could be defeated by a pilot wising to do so, it would appear that some other form of enforcement is suggested.

What about a stand alone speed sensor mounted in the aircraft, with no linkage to the turbine. A unit that would, instead of controlling the turbine, be connected to a transmitter. A small receiver that emits a tone could be attached to the back of a Tx, or put in a pocket, with an earphone or speaker. If we are going to trust a pilot to make certain that a speed limiter is functional, as implied by those that want speed limiters, why not use the same pilot’s ability to pull the throttle back when the tone indicating 200 mph has been exceeded is emitted from the receiver?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: An alternative to speed limiters?

And we can disconnect the speaker......I like it!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Terry Holston

Sounds too good to be true! You gonna build it, and market it, and service it, all for under $100.00??????????
Old 01-27-2004, 05:29 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

Sounds too good to be true! You gonna build it, and market it, and service it, all for under $100.00??????????
Naw, the JPO reasoning was that you guys would like it better if it costs a lot more
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, this speed limiter rule is beyond the ability of the current organization to administer.

As mongo has said, there are numerous rules not that are not strictly enforced, and left to the modeller and the modellers integrity to comply with. Weight, engine size, altitude limits, etc.

Making this one rule different is exposing all of the admisitrative weaknesses we have. This will all fall onto the overworked CDs, and to the club officials that have jet pilots are their local fields. It has already been bad enough with Thrust to weight rules, and turbine certification rules, the waiver sign off process, etc. Seems like this speed limiter thing is moving in the wrong direction.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Bob Fieorenze (sp?) already sells one. I have one, totally separate from the airplane radio/motor. Transmits to a receiver I have on the ground. Can preset min/max airspeed with warnings when you approach the speed. Works great.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:44 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Again, this speed limiter rule is beyond the ability of the current organization to administer.

As mongo has said, there are numerous rules not that are not strictly enforced, and left to the modeller and the modellers integrity to comply with. Weight, engine size, altitude limits, etc.

Making this one rule different is exposing all of the admisitrative weaknesses we have. This will all fall onto the overworked CDs, and to the club officials that have jet pilots are their local fields. It has already been bad enough with Thrust to weight rules, and turbine certification rules, the waiver sign off process, etc. Seems like this speed limiter thing is moving in the wrong direction.
Matt

I don't disagree. At least this leaves the decision to the pilot and does not put the aircraft in danger. I have my doubts that most people can estimate the speed of an aircraft with any percision. At least this takes away most of the complaints of both the waiver holders and the AMA leadership. I know one of Dave Brown's concerns is that lack of ability of pilots to estimate the speed of an aircraft. I don't think he has a problem with trust... at least he never expressed any that I ever heard.

Your kinda the expert of things electronic. Is it fesible and what would it have to sell for?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:45 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Bob Fieorenze (sp?) already sells one. I have one, totally separate from the airplane radio/motor. Transmits to a receiver I have on the ground. Can preset min/max airspeed with warnings when you approach the speed. Works great.
How much?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:55 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: J_R
How much?
A lot. I think Bob's unit is 400 or more. It is nice and he does the RF link the right way. This solution is way more complex because of the RF link and making sure it does not interfere with out current link.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Terry Holston

Here is where you can get the specs. It goes for $375.00.

http://www.rcaviation.com/fiorenze/ Forgot to post the URL.LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17388.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	94910  
Old 01-27-2004, 06:31 PM
J_R

I guess I am just pragmatic. You guys are playing a game of 5 card draw. If you really think you have the winning hand, stand pat. If you think the EC will vote for speed limiters, it might be time to draw.

Seems to me a rule requiring either a speed limiter or a speed sensor gives you a lot more choice. But, it's not my $3000 paperweight to bet.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: DavidR

And we can disconnect the speaker......I like it!
Hi David

I been thinking about you

In your case, you get a customized unit that attaches two electrodes to your left wrist. At 200 you get a tone. At 210, 50,000 volts are applied to your wrist, inducing a "thumb jerk" reaction.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:13 AM
DavidR

Well JR since I have been an electrician for almost 20 years now I don't think a little electricity will even make me flinch! Another argument against that device is do you really want a guy that is flying a 200 mph airplane to be distracted by the speed display?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
J_R

David

You have no sense of humor. LOL. Just so everyone knows, I have come to respect your opinion. (darn, did I type that?)

Now, on a more serious note, my suggestion was a tone, as opposed to the display on the unit available. That should be a pretty minor change... one which would not require looking away from a plane doing 200
Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 AM
EddieWeeks

I say for each AMA jet event, the CD must have a Radar gun around...

I mean only a few planes will be going a lot over 200 so the can just
walk out there and shoot those planes and tell the home boy to slow
down or push it out.

I have used a radar gun and it does not take long to tell how
fast a plane is going even without the gun..

I think all high speed passes should be farther out... none
over the runway... and none within 40 foot of the runway...
Push them out and let them run..

Eddie Weeks
Old 01-28-2004, 12:37 AM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: EddieWeeks

I mean only a few planes will be going a lot over 200 so the can just
walk out there and shoot those planes and tell the home boy to slow
down or push it out.

This is already the reality at some of the big events now, ask me how I know :-)
Old 01-28-2004, 12:51 AM
DavidR

You have no sense of humor. LOL. Just so everyone knows, I have come to respect your opinion. (darn, did I type that?)
Quite the contrary! I just like getting electrocuted.....it's really quite invigorating! OH yeah...and I like to argue just for the sake of arguing.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:12 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

at a recent event we were able to check speed of jets in flight. we kept this information private and would interview the pilot and his caller after the flight. the pilot always "over" estimated his speed. He thought he was going 180 when he was doing 160. the caller, typically another jet pilot, was almost always dead on. FWIW of the thirty aircraft at the event only two did over 200 a bandit and super bandit. both of these aircraft were within the .9 to 1 thrust ratio. it was quite obvious when any plane was doing 200 to everyone there, even the spectators would make comments. most folks felt comfortable "crusing" in the 160 range. and my TG F-15 did a mind blowing pass at 106.

i don't think a radar or speed gun is necessary. if someone is going that fast call them down on it. not limited to the CD or event official either.