Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Pearl White covering and paint matching?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Pearl White covering and paint matching?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:26 AM
RoughLandin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pearl White covering and paint matching?

I am building a GP Super Skybolt. I am trying to research coving materials and would like to match my user pic to the left. Using Neon Green and a Pearl White.

1) I can't seem to find a matching paint for Monokote or Ultracote Pearl Whites. Does any one have any suggestions?
2) I am also hearing the the Monokote Pearl White is slightly transparent, is the Ultracote any more opaque.

Brian
Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 PM
KC-135
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Pearl White covering and paint matching?

Go to a custom automotive paint store.They sell the pearl powder. Theres alot of colors you can get.Talk to someone about spraying the pearl. The way I was told was to paint your base coat then take the pearl powder mix it with thinner spray this lightly over the base coat then spray a clear coat over this.Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:12 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC,

I've never tried to match a "pearl" covering, and I can't imagine this is going to be too easy either. It may take several attempts, and even then you may never match it perfectly, or to your satisfaction.

Best of luck to ya if that's the way you want to go.

If it was me, I'd think I'd paint the cowl to match the green, and then add your graphics to the fuse, up to the cowl. This could also be done in a way so you don't see the definitive line where the cowl meets the fuse.

Another way is to do the above, only add small stripes, or decrease the "pearl" area on the cowl. This way it would be less noticable if your "pearl paint" does not quite match. To "tie it in", you could match what ever "design" you used up front, to the vertical stab.

One more option would be to paint the top of the cowl to match the green, and do the bottom of it in the pearl. Again, you could eliminate the "cowl line" by being creative with your accent covering. If done this way, and your pearl paint doesn't match, it will be in a area harder to see.....so don't let your Buddy's get on their hands and knees when checking it out.

Good luck! Would love to see the pics when you get her all finished.

Gary
Old 02-21-2004, 07:12 PM
blacvet
My Feedback: (1)

Brian,

In the automotive industry.PPG paint is what I spray.Pearl paint is a 3 stage process.There is first base coat,the second is the pearl,which is translucent,and last is the clear coat.When I am spraying Pearl I have to blend the base coat then the pearl coat even further into the next panel to match and then clear coat.In other words,its very difficult to match.
Carl
Old 02-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Kaos Rulz

RoughLandin - I used the white peral once, and won't use it again. It looks great on the roll, but after applying it, you'll see all the wood grain. My wood grain looks good, but that was not the look I was going for.

I didn't care for it.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
RoughLandin

Thanks for the feedback ED. Do you recall if you used Monokote or Ultracote? I've heard one of the two is semi-trasparent but I'm not sure which one.

Brian
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Kaos Rulz

It's the Monokoat that's transparent. I prefere using Monokote, but not this stuff.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:53 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was going to reply to the thread just as Ed did, as I too have experienced "pearl white" monokote, and it's not even close to what I thought it would be. It's definately got alot of transparency to it, and yes you will see grain through it. I thought it would look more like the paint on the pearl colored "Cadillac's". Not the case though. It's way to transparent for alot of different apps, and If I'm thinking right here you might want to test it before buying alot of it.
Definately Monokote I'm talking about, as I really dont use anything else for the last 25+yrs. I was just a bit disappointed with the pearl white. If it was as opaque as most other monokote colors it would be beautiful, but it should be called "50% transparent-pearl white". Good luck though.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:56 AM
flaperon

Okay,

Thanks for the tip on Monocoat Pearl White being see-through! I was planning on using it, and just bought two rolls! I will now make several tests on scrap stock before I attempt my airplane! Does anyone have any other great ideas for a nice looking white that is more opaque?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: flaperon

Okay,

Thanks for the tip on Monocoat Pearl White being see-through! I was planning on using it, and just bought two rolls! I will now make several tests on scrap stock before I attempt my airplane! Does anyone have any other great ideas for a nice looking white that is more opaque?
I would like to here about your results on the pearl since I was going to go that route also. Fuselage to be painted since it is composite and the flying surfaces has to have monokote on it.

Roger