Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

TYVEK??WOT IS IT??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

TYVEK??WOT IS IT??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:13 PM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TYVEK??WOT IS IT??

I've seen it mentioned in threads, what do you use it for and where do I get some???
Please help an Aussie from the land down under. []
Old 02-27-2004, 04:28 PM
bhole74

Default RE: TYVEK??WOT IS IT??

Tyvek is "house wrap" made by 3M. It serves as a vapor barrier between the wood and siding of your home. It is available at most building supply stores. If this is not what they are referring to, I would like to know as well.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Xtrem3dJer

Go to Hang-em-high the sell the stuff for $3.50 a yard. The stuff is used for lots of things: kites, backpacking, construction, I even have a jump suit for painting and fabrication.
WWW.citystar.com/hang-em-high ---- it is under the paper section (very light and durable)
Old 02-27-2004, 04:40 PM
CafeenMan

What is it you plan on using Tyvek for?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Cafeenman,I have seen it posted as used as hinges for light models, seems to me a tough material like this could have a lot of uses Im from ozz...so I'de like a webb site where I can buy it with visa card Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:39 PM
CafeenMan

I think it would be great for hinges on small models, but I don't think it shrinks so it would not be a good covering material. Probably doesn't have a lot of uses with R/C aircraft unless you're making a Rogello wing or something. But who knows, maybe someone has some really good uses for it.

Just do a web search for "kite building materials" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of suppliers.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:00 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Extrem3djer; Thanks for you info, have ordered some from the kite shop...they also have interesting carbon tubes and rods ect.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to point out a couple things that I didn't see when I read through the answers to the question.

Tyvek is a fabric you can't tear. You will find it used on the house-wrap that was mentioned first, and also on those un-tearable envelopes that some express outfits use. You have to cut the stuff to open the envelope.

The RC application is on CA hinges. Tyvek is used to sandwich mylar, and small rectangles of the laminate are sold for use as CA hinges. In order to use them, methods (such as drilling the hinge slot) should be used to assure distribution of the CA to all FOUR tyvek surfaces. The four tyvek surfaces to be adhered with CA to the wood are: in the front of the hinge, top and bottom, and in the control surface area of the hinge, top and bottom. There are descriptions of the method in several places on the web and on RCU.

I usually question people who claim that CA hinges "delaminate". Only once did I see a picture, and it looked like the sandwich material tore - which means, it wasn't Tyvek!

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried to use this for hinges but have not found any glue that will make a reliable bond with it. I've tried the epoxies, CA's, aliphatic and others. Anyone have any suggestions on what glue to use?
Old 02-28-2004, 04:25 PM
jettstarblue

Tyvek is your friend!! Go to www.tyvek.com (DuPont) great site!

Lightweight, strong durable
Outstanding flexural strength, easily exceeds 20,000 cycles before breaking
Excellent printablilty
Compatible with many adhesives

Made from very fine, high-density polyethylene fibers, Tyvek® brand protective material offers all the best characteristics of paper, film and fabric in one material. This unique balance of properties, which cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque.

You notice they say "chemical resitant". It does glue up with epoxy and CA, but you've got to rough it up a bit with some 220 first.
Lots of applications, I've even sheeted wings (foam) with it. I bought a lifetime supply (roll) but found now I use it so much, it may run out.

Jetts
Old 02-28-2004, 04:27 PM
jettstarblue

TYVEK®
DuPont Tyvek® has introduced new dimensions of protection, security and safety in a wide variety of industries, including protective apparel, construction, envelopes, medical packaging and graphics.
Made from very fine, high-density polyethylene fibers, Tyvek® brand protective material offers all the best characteristics of paper, film and fabric in one material. This unique balance of properties, which cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque.

A miracle of science from DuPont

The discovery of Tyvek® was a chance occurrence by a DuPont researcher, Jim White, who in 1955 noticed white polyethylene fluff coming out of a pipe in a DuPont experimental lab. A program to develop the new material was set up, and a year later DuPont submitted a patent proposal for strong yarn linear polyethylene.

The proprietary flash-spinning technology, which is the basis for what was to become DuPont’s new engineered sheet structure, took several more years to perfect. In 1959, a pilot facility was established for trial applications such as book covers, tags, labels and certain garments. In 1965, the new engineered sheet structure was registered under the trademark name Tyvek®, but it was not until April 1967 that commercial production of Tyvek® started.

Tyvek® is formed by a fully integrated process using continuous and very fine fibers of 100 percent high-density polyethylene that are randomly distributed and nondirectional. These fibers are first flash spun, then laid as a web on a moving bed before being bonded together by heat and pressure - without the use of binders, sizers or fillers. By varying both the lay-down speed and the bonding conditions, DuPont technicians can engineer the flashspun sheet to meet market needs, such as soft- and hard-structure Tyvek®.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:43 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Well thanks guys ...I realy got my moneys worth here
Old 02-28-2004, 04:47 PM
jettstarblue

No prob, it's what I do......

Jetts
Old 03-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Xtrem3dJer

Hey, no problem!

I never thought of using the stuff for hinges nor covering, the soft version will tear as I have with my hands. It does not shrink, like mentioned, but is very usable for 1001 uses. The site mentioned does have good stuff for planes---kevlar strips, carbon tubes and reinforced materials, and some high strength line w/ low resistance. It also has many different types of nylons, dacron, and spectra materials.

Stiff may be more usable for hinges???

Jeremy
Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

When I use hinges like these with CA I use a small drill 1/64 and after I've slit the hinge slot I drill the slit in two places , this lets the CA penetrate right down.I always sand the hinge first,helps the CA grab. Another cheap hinge for bigger models is plastic strapping, the kind you get off your fridge or dishwasher when it arrives...its around 3/4" wide . I sand this on my belt sander pulling it under a piece of wood to hold it down.....these will never break. You might pick some up at your local appliance store ect. TTFN. from down under...in space there is no up or down....so we can be on the TOP.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:33 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

tyvek is used quite successfully as hinges on small electric 3d aircraft, usually of the epp or depron variety. Goop is the glue of choice in that application, and it holds quite well.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:00 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Can you tell me ...what is Goop....what kind of glue is it ...we dont have this brand UP here.[8D]
Old 03-03-2004, 09:24 AM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

uuuuhhhh...hmmmm. goop. we have different types of goop. lemme find a link...aahh..here's one: http://www.thistothat.com/glue/hgoop.shtml
here's the manufacturer's homepage: http://eclecticproducts.com/goop/home.asp

goop dries flexible and somewhat quickly (depending on how thick you put it on).

j