Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster 90/120

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

GP Super Sportster 90/120

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 09:23 PM
JetSet9c1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster 90/120

Happy Holidays to all!

I didn't get a chance to get a post into "what are you building this winter", and since Santa got me a new digital camera, I thought I'd share.

The first is of my Super Sportster 120 that I've been building since I was 14. Not the entire time, of course. When college and work forced me out of the hobby, I 'lost' the kit in a moving accident. 13 years later,I bought this one on RCO (Thanks Trent!) and I've been working on this off and on since. It's almost finished now, and should be flying this March or so.

The second is the Senorita I'm building my wife. She started flying last year and I thought this would be a great bird she can call her own, and use to build her confidence. Get her ahead of the plane so-to-speak.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43169_11674.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	26952  
Old 12-26-2002, 09:24 PM
JetSet9c1

Default Senorita Pic

Here's the Wife's plane...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43170_11674.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	26953  
Old 12-26-2002, 09:28 PM
capn crunch

My flying buddy, Jim Feldmann designed that airplane for Great Planes in the 1980's.. I was at our flying site in Glendale Calif when Don Anderson of GP witnessed a 1204c vibrate the tail off the prototype. Jim fixed that and all the subesquent models he designed for GP (the Ultrasport line, as wellas others) were solid winners.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:17 PM
JetSet9c1

That must of been something to witness. I heard about the tail problems, so in addition to the screws, fiberglass, and ply in the tail, I also epoxied on 1/2" triangle stock between the fuse and stab.

I also built in 1/8" thick engine isolator mounts. It'll be hanging an ASP 120 4c .

I've got this thing where everything I start, must be finsihed. This one just took sometime!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
TRoc

Default RE: GP Super Sportster 90/120

How about an update on your Sportster 120? I'm putting one together now and plan to use an OS 120 Surpass. What did you come up with for final weight? The more I read the instruction manual and addendums, the more I noticed the concern for a solid tail attachment and tight control surface setup. I'm trying to make flutter less an issue by putting counter weights on the elevators and rudder. It doesn't completely balance the surface but I believe that what I did will help.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:44 PM
SkyBound

Anybody know where I can get a Super Sportster 90/120 kit??? Great Planes does not sell this bird at present.

SkyBound
Old 03-03-2004, 07:53 PM
JetSet9c1

Troc,

I'm not sure about the weight. To boot, it's not quite finished yet. I still need to add a little trim, and clear coat. Then mount everything and off it'll go. I finished it in Koverall, and doped it Waco Red. I must admit, it's going to be hard to miss. This is a record for me BTW. I've been working on it since 99.

I'm hoping to find the time, weather permitting to spray her final coat. I'll post pics before my maiden. I'll also try to get an accurate weight.

SB,

You may be able to find one online. I bought mine from a list member (back when it was RCO, Thanks Trent!!). I've also seen them on ebay. My adventure with this plane spans a decade, and I haven't even flown one yet! Good luck, and let us know if you find one.

Best regards,

JS
Old 03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Anybody know where I can get a Super Sportster 90/120 kit???
Kits seem to rarely show up on eBay. But I know you can still get the original construction article plan set from RC Modeler. I bought a set just to have them.

Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: JetSet9c1

SB,

You may be able to find one online. I bought mine from a list member (back when it was RCO, Thanks Trent!!). I've also seen them on ebay. My adventure with this plane spans a decade, and I haven't even flown one yet! Good luck, and let us know if you find one.

Best regards,

JS
Funny - just sold my last two of these kits. At one time I had 6 kits and one flying. This design was far ahead of it's day, but I've finally moved on. I still have a 60 size flyer, a 60 size mostly framed, a 20 flyer, a 20 needing repair, and two Bipe kits.
These do pop up on Ebay regularly. They usually go for $150-175 + shipping. If you decide to build one, two words - RAZOR PLANE.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:14 PM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is 10pounds 4 ounces with ASP 108 and 6 years of oil and patches
recovering it and it will loose some weight
got it used at a price I could not refuse
love the way it flys, smooth and groovy
an moves out on 15X8 prop
also converted to tail dragger
looks much better