Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Chattering a big deal?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Chattering a big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Aeroman84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chattering a big deal?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I have a scat cat I'm trying to finish up, But the servos are chattering a bit. The type of hinges are a little stiff, but it has such minute deflection... I think the hinges are polypropelene. I have no dea what to do. HELP!

Chris
Old 05-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Shihtzutan

New batteries tend to chatter until they are cycled a few times. Don't run your battery wires or switch harness near the receiver antenna if you can help it. Look for metal-to-metal contact and eliminate it and keep your servo extensions (when used) as short as possible. Minor chattering isn't a big deal; just make sure you don't have a range problem. Also, if you are using one of those forks that people (old men) stick into the ground to hold their plane, that metal rod near the antenna will reduce you range.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:41 PM
FHHuber
Banned

???? Never had chatter due to new batteries. AND in near 30 years R/C experience. Never even heard of that one before.

If the hinge lines are binding, you've got a MAJOR problem that needs to be corrected. The hinges should move easilly enough that with the clevice disconnected from the control surface, the surface will drop to full deflection on its own weight. (EVERY time you lift the surface to max upward position and let go)

The tight hinges will drain your batteries up to 30 times faster than correctly installed hinges... (that means you may get as little as 5 min useful flying time.)

The Scat Cat: An appx 46 inch span .40 size high speed aircraft, normally uses "standard" servos and R/C equip. A very nice plane that can get close to 110 mph with a sickly .40... You don't want ANYTHING wrong with the control system.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The jittering problem I had, 1 servo out of 5 was corrected at the factory by changing the pot. If you have binding control surfaces you are more likely to hear a buzz from a stalled servo than jittering.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Mr Hubber, new batteries do not cause chatter, at least not in the 40 some years I've been in the hobby. Chatter can be caused by quite a number of things, the two most likely are stiff hinges and; believe it or not, hinges that are very free so that the surfaces try to droop due to gravity pulling them down. The servo then tries to bring them back up, gets them up, stops the drive, the surfaces droop again and the cycle repeats. This is especially apparent with coreless servos (very low internal friction in their gear train and commutator) and heavy aileron or elevator surfaces that are not mass balanced. A less likely cause is poor electrical design in the servo amplifier (a wide deadband) and/or worn servo feedback potentiometer. I have experienced all these problems at one time or another but never one due to new batteries.