Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

clutch shoes too low

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 04:16 PM
banunfairnizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch shoes too low

I have a question for an expert. While runing my savage truck it stoped and acted like it went into neutral. It also accelerated to an extremely high RPM with no finger on the trigger. Sounded like it was about to blow up. After tearing down the clutch assembly I noticed the shoes looked pretty worn. Maybe 1/4" worn off. Could this be why it hit high RPMs in a "neutral" state? I am thinking the shoes were not touching clutch bell. How are the Nova aluminum clutch shoes if anyone knows, or aluminum shoes in general with wear and tear? Failsafes good or bad? which
Old 04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
doctorgoodwrench
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clutch shoes too low

ill try one at a time..........the instant neutral, probably the one way bearing in the trans. common.......clutch shoes worn very low, common with a motor putting out the power of the sirio.......very high rpm on its own, depends how long it revved, and what your fuel level was like at the time. could just be low fuel and a lean condition from fuel slosh out of the baffle area, or may be a radio malfunction. tough one without knowing more.........the aluminum clutch shoes hook up real nice but will eat up the clutchbell where the frp ones wont. personnaly i run the frp........failsafes are great, they do their job well. but from what i understand, all the failsafes currently on the market are designed to monitor and operate on the discharge rates of nicad cells, where most of us are using the 5 cell nimh packs. i am told that the difference in the voltage drop characteristics of the nimh cells can cause erratic operation of the failsafe unit. on the flip side, i know of at least 5 guys i bash and race with that run them and dont report a problem, so that ones on you. i just run a real high quality radio and i stay well within the limits of it. hope i helped a little.