Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Little Home-made mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 AM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Home-made mod

I've been getting complaints about the huge oil streaks from my car down my road, I also find the amount of nitro oil from my car exhaust very messy as it gets all over the bottom of the chassis and the side of the shell. I decided it was time to convert the exhaust to resolve these problems.
What I did is I got a length of 8mm steel pipe, heated it until red hot then cooled it slowly, so it would go soft. I then bent it between two sheets of metal (in an attempt to prevent it kinking) into a simple curve. I then trimmed it to size, cut some expansion slots in the muffler-end and pushed it on to the old muffler tip. I then put a jubilee clip around that and tightened it up to hold the tip on firmly. I then sealed the tip on with araldite so that no nitro oil could get through the join. I had to cut a small notch in the body shell to accomodate the new exhaust, but it's worked well. The exhaust no longer blasts straight down into the ground so the oil is sprayed over a wide area, not leaving any stains as a result. here's the result:

Old 05-16-2004, 11:34 AM
ko

Default RE: Little Home-made mod

looks clean with the body on... that sucks about people complaining i have nasty residents too
Old 05-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Mastec

Looks cool

Dont your neighbors have any kind of life other than worrying about oil stains on a road? OMG!
Old 05-16-2004, 02:07 PM
enyaengine

I know, it's pretty pityful. Odd that they moan about the oil stains but not the noise. Anyway, I was really doing it for myself to help keep the car clean, I also reckon it should stop as much dust being thrown up under the shell.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:32 PM
aredabirdy10

my neighbor complained at 1 o clock in the after noon about the noise i thought fair enough but at five o clock the started mowing the lawn with a petrol lawn mower
Old 05-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Vanquish24

And then, and then, and then. Just kidding, but yea nice job looks real good. My neighbors complain too but no one can stop me from running my rcs. I go out in the AM sometimes with my buddy and we bash our 1/8 Buggies on the streets near the city, no one complains because no one is awake and if they do awake and start hollering then we move on to the next street.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:48 PM
ICrashThings

we have like rock climber jeeps and trucks around us reving their engines 24/7. i think my neighboors could care less about my rc truck.[:-]
Old 05-17-2004, 01:40 PM
budweiser505

my neighbours at both my mum and dads house complain about the noise all the time. The guy who lives behind me even complains about me riding my electric scooter when he cant even hear it lol. he keeps threatening me with the police blah blah...

most of u guys are lucky i have to go to the track 45mins away every time[:@]
Old 05-17-2004, 03:28 PM
mr_exon

wana make you nabers real mad make a 60/80 foot track and then run a couple of cars at once
make it sond like you want to make it to the nats (run it all day long) and when you get tired mo your lawn lol[:-]
Old 05-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Vanquish24

LoL great idea.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:05 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

i have been doing that all my life, infact i have a dirtbike track in my yard. So i am always running something that is a 2 stroke.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
crazy_azz_mat

u kno there are exhaust deflectors that u could have used instead
Old 05-18-2004, 05:03 PM
enyaengine

well, never mind. It works anyway. I just ran 3 tanks through it and not a drop of oil inside the body shell and very very little on the outside. It certainly works from that perspective. It also no longer leaves the oil streaks, so that works too.
Only problem (or is it?) is that the exit bore is about twice the diameter of the one on the silencer originally, so the thing is louder, but I'm not complaing, even if the neighbours do!