Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

How high have you flown your Draganflyer IV?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

How high have you flown your Draganflyer IV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:48 AM
ihaveatxt1wow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high have you flown your Draganflyer IV?

How high have you flown your Draganflyer IV? I probably have sent it to over 20-30 feet high a few times, but always ended up with some sort of crashes.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:03 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How high have you flown your Draganflyer IV?

"How high does that thing fly?" is a dangerous question! When you are looking side on on the disk (or disks in your case) you quickly see changes in attitude. But looking up at the disk from underneath, you quickly loose that orientation. Broken frame. Broken boom. Broken landing gear. Broken tail blades. OK, no more responses of, "I don't know, let's find out" :-\
Old 06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
ihaveatxt1wow

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

"How high does that thing fly?" is a dangerous question! When you are looking side on on the disk (or disks in your case) you quickly see changes in attitude. But looking up at the disk from underneath, you quickly loose that orientation. Broken frame. Broken boom. Broken landing gear. Broken tail blades. OK, no more responses of, "I don't know, let's find out" :-\
"How high does that thing fly?" is INDEED a dangerous question!

The official rctoys site said that the Draganflyer flys "as high as you can see it". But "How high does that thing fly?" is not really what I am asking. I am asking "How high can you fly that thing" using your experience and skills. Just because a heli can go up 100+ ft does not mean the pilot has what it takes to do so.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:06 PM
meb48

I have taken mine up to about 100 feet; the problem is not going up, it is coming down. If you try to descend in its own prop downwash, it becomes very unstable; I usually descend by moving the unit laterally while cutting back on power only a little. Another technique is to move it back and forth during descent, making a kind of sawtooth pattern 10-20 feet wide. Seeing orientation is usually not a problem; a have also painted a ">" character on the bottom of the battery plate indicating where the lead prop is, and that helps too, though not as much as just keeping its orientation steady so there is no question where the yellow prop is (I tried painting the prop undersides different colors, but at altitude, this is useless)... to keep proper orientation, any high altitude maneuvers should be done pretty much right above you, and not 100 feet distant. Lastly, if you are new to the Draganflyer (or helis in general) make sure you are good at controlling it in the first 10 feet of altitude before taking it higher, cause even the manual sez it gets squirelly in descents, and your ability to control it must be good.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 PM
teebok

I also have taken my draganflyer to about 100 feet. Here are a couple of pics kaken with the on board cam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44500.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	145130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69151.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	145131  
Old 06-20-2004, 03:21 PM
falcondriver

My friend flew his Piccolo at 41,000'!

It was on RunRyder about a year ago. We were in the Falcon 900EX I fly. He went in the back, while we were up there and hovered around the cabin. It was a BLAST!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:25 PM
meb48

Somehow, I don't think this quite addresses the spirit of the original question...
Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
ihaveatxt1wow

ORIGINAL: falcondriver

My friend flew his Piccolo at 41,000'!

It was on RunRyder about a year ago. We were in the Falcon 900EX I fly. He went in the back, while we were up there and hovered around the cabin. It was a BLAST!
Ha ha. Very funny. I guess then my DF IV always fly at 900+ ft even when it is turned-off: My town is at least 900 ft above the sea level.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:34 AM
phoglite

I'm getting a new draganflyer on Friday and have been reading up. It sounds like this takes a LOT of practice to master! Does anyone think it's possible to fly the draganflyer using video glasses w/ onboard camera? I saw some people trying the eyetops. Is there any chance of mastering control w/ a camera only view at apx 100' or more?