Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Question for Vince

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Question for Vince

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:29 AM
rdt45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Vince

Hey Vince, I went to seperates on my Aero Hawk.(GWS ICS-100,ICS-50 and a CSM HGL200). I am having a problem getting it to hover. When I lift off the tail is very unstable and hard to control. Have attempted to adjust the gain but still have problems with the tail pulsating. I have tried a DD, High Authority, and the Johnson tail motors. Have had the same results with all three motors. I read a post about disconnecting the two wires from the gyro to the speed controller. It's a little better but not much. Gyro mounted with the foam and is not touching anything else.Also running stock battery. What am I missing ? I cant get this thing stable.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:54 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Question for Vince

I am not vince but I run the same gyro. I have pixi for my esc but it dont make a difference. First off the only 2 wires that dont need to be conected are the 2 wires that go into the gyro leave the signal wire...you already knew that though. make sure the C S M is pointing down with the C at the top. use the .......oh I bet its your battery. The hh gyro takes a bit more to run then stock. If I try running my **** on stock aerohawk batteries I get the same thing. Its the same responce you get when your lithiums start running low. Yup pop a lithuium pack in there and have fun. (just another unexpected expence. I know I have been there....got over $1200 if you count everything I have bought for my helicopter. But now I have 2)
Old 07-05-2004, 08:57 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi rdt45,
Can you describe your problem a bit more for me? Does the tail lack authority to counter the torque? Or does the tail wag back and forth?
Vince
Old 07-05-2004, 09:25 AM
rdt45

Thanks Justin,
Vince, it seems to lack authority. some times after lift off it will spin in a circle. Most of the time it acts like the gain is not set high enough. Even after adjusting the gain it still will not hold the tail steady.

.................Bob T.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:20 PM
VinceHerman

Ahh, OK, I am glad that I did not launch into posible problems with tail wag.
Let's see if things with the gyro are working right.
Test #1
Take off the main blades so that we can spool up without danger. Power up your transmitter and then your heli. Hold the heli in your hand. Hold a little right rudder on your transmitter so that the tail spinns slowly.
Now, turn the heli to the left. 10 or 15 degrees should do. Did the gyro speed up the tail to try to prevent the turn to the left? If yes, then the gyro is probably working right and we need to look elsewhere for the problem If no, then we need to thing about why the gyro is not behaving properly.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:26 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Ouch...I would not recomend spinning up the rotor head with the main blades off and the paddles left on. They will fly off and hurt you.....I had to pull one out of a wood wall before. I have also heard that the ics-50 was not the best choice for a heading hold gyo.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:48 PM
rdt45

Vince, I removed the blades. The gyro did speed up the tail motor when I moved to the left. It seems to be working properly............Bob T.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:53 AM
VinceHerman

What battery are you using? I know that on my piccolo, when the battery gets low, the tail does not have as much authroity as on a fresh pack. This was made worse when I swapped motors to a more powerful motor.
What capacity and cell count are your batteries? Stock main motor? You already mentioned that you tried replacement tail motors.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:21 PM
rdt45

I put the stock motor back in. Am using the stock battery packs, 7-cell 750MAH HI-MH
Old 07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
VinceHerman

I would think that a 7 cell NiMH pack would be marginal. 7 cells with NiCads is better. 8 cells with NiMH is better.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:12 PM
rdt45

I'll try a different battery set up and see what my results are.....Thanks