Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What kind of Pushrods are best

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What kind of Pushrods are best

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Pushrods are best

I have been installing Blue Sullivan Nylon Gold-n-Rods. I just heard that some use steel ran through a protected case like the Nyrod setup. What do you all use ????
I have been experiencing trim changes bad trim changes this year with the hotter than usual temps in our region.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:29 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. I used to think Sullivan rods were great. I've put them in close to a dozen airplanes. However, now that I've become picky about control rigidity, I think my next airplane will have either pull-pull cables or very short rods with servos mounted close to the control surface. There is simply no practical way to get a perfectly rigid and slop free control set-up with a long push rods. With four inch rods and ball links, it's easy.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:11 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

In the 40 to 60 size planes I use solid wire(although it's a bit heavier I still use it), inside the nyrod casing. I use what was to be the inner rod(yellow) for bushings. I cut several of the inner rod to about 5/16" or so, and push them onto the solid wire so they are spaced evenly and comfortably, and so they are far enough inside they can't bind with the end of the outer nyrod. A touch of CA is used if they want to slide, although if they slide to badly, you've got the wrong size rod/wire combo. The blue/yellow nyrod works very well like this, with 2/56 threaded inner wire pushrods. It definately makes a BIG difference. I've never really liked nyrod, for simple reason of flex, it flexes WAY to much for my tastes. The above method has alleviated that though.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:55 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU

Solid wire, I like it. Do you thread either end or solder?? How do you connect the Servo and Control Surfaces??
Old 08-07-2002, 10:58 AM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

When I can't have a short control arm, I try and do a wooden dowl or fiberglass. On the kits where you've had the nyrod, I just swap the inner pushrod out for a metal one. I get the ones with threads on one side. I then find the length, cut it, and put a z-bend in the non-threaded side which I put at the servo arm. The threaded then got a screw on clevis which also made it easily adjusted from the outside of the plane.

One word of warning about doing this. I've never had any problem doing this but I'd still be careful were you run your receiver antenna. Keep it away from the rods. On my Mid-star I ran it down the belly on the outside which seemed to work fine.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:34 PM
paperairplanes
My Feedback: (10)

Default try these

clevis is part number DuBro 817, a piece of 4-40 threaded rod, and K and S aluminum rod stock number 3060(3/16x.049). All you need to do is cut to length the rod, tap each end for 4-40,(dont even need to drill the hole as it is perfect) then add your threaded rod and clevises. Also on the threaded rod you can add a nut for security or just use some loctite. simple, strong, cheap... what else can you ask for? I got all this stuff from Tower. Your hobby shop might have everything but the aluminum rod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20402_4400.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	12924  
Old 08-07-2002, 02:37 PM
paperairplanes

like you guys said before, the shorter the control rod the better, also your control surface mount should be just as sturdy. I tend to prefer some type of metal control horns. You could also go the carbon fiber ppushrod route. Just dont forget to check and make sure all surfaces are connected to your control rods before you fly!!!!! Ive seen it done.

Name:	20403_4400.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	12925  
Old 08-07-2002, 06:18 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

On the 40-60 size planes, I either use a pre-threaded 2/56 rod, I get about 24" threaded one end. On the other end is Z-bend.
If I don't use pre-threaded, I use a solder-on threaded coupler. Either way , I will z-bend all connections to servos when using 2/56 wire, except for the throttle, there I use EZtype adjustable connector.

On bigger planes, it's quite a bit different though, as the hardware gets bigger, throws are more critical, etc...
Matter of fact...GreatPlanes kits use the same technique, and very simialar applications. This is why kit building is very good, because you can learn all sorts of techniques, and tricks, just by following the books. Each manufacturer has there own style and ways of doing things, however the more manufacturers you build from, the more tricks you can learn.

I do hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:41 PM
rcpilotsteve-RCU

This is helping big time. I've built a few kits but I have always ignored the stock rods and instructions. I thought The Sullivan Gold-n-Rods were the end all.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Bob Yeager

Default Sullivan "Precision Rod"

Does anyone have any experience with the Sullivan "Precision Rod", #580, "Carbon Fiber Reinforced"? These are touted as being less susceptible to temperature variations.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:52 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: Sullivan "Precision Rod"

Originally posted by Bob Yeager
Does anyone have any experience with the Sullivan "Precision Rod", #580, "Carbon Fiber Reinforced"? These are touted as being less susceptible to temperature variations.
Although I mainly use fiberglass pushrods, I have 2 planes with the precision rods. They are noticable more temperature stable than the yellow plastic inserts although I don't fly in temperatures much above 80 degrees. My flying season sees temperatures from about 40 to 80. There are no noticable trim changes with that range.

Not much help for those of you in the lower 48, but there you go.

Don
Old 08-08-2002, 06:24 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

I used yellow nyrod on my first two planes. I am worried about precision now. I use pull pull on the rudder and very short metal rods on the ailerons. If I can't put the elevator servo in the tail I use pull /pull or carbon fiber arrow shafts with twin outputs they are very light and rigid. I never use metal rods longer than six or eight inches anything much longer than that cab interfere with the receiver and cause glitches. My $.02 CB
Old 08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make my own length pushrods from carbon fiber tubing. They are very rigid and don't seem to be affected by temperature. It's really easy to do, check out....

http://www.darrolcady.com/Carbon_Fiber/carbon_fiber.htm

This where I got mine, they work great on my 29% Edge 540. Enjoy.

Bob
Old 08-17-2002, 01:52 AM
crosswind

If you've got a straight run, it's hard to bead carbon fiber arrow shafts. You can get them at any good sporting goods store. As mentioned in another thread here, sometimes you can get damaged ones not good for arrows free. On a small plane, .25 or so, I've been happy using balsa pushrods.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:33 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default K&S Rod

Hey paperairplanes,

Where do you get the K&S aluminum rod (#3060)???

Neither my LHS or Tower has rods with the correct inside diameter.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:19 PM
paperairplanes

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXS020&P=7

that link should be it, if not let me know for the rods. It took me awhile to find em to. 8.99 for 5, 12" rods. if you find em any longer let me know!!!!!
Old 08-17-2002, 09:54 PM
sigflyer

Solid 4/40 on the large stuff. I am working on a H9 PT 19 with a G23. I need the weight back there so I'm running dual 4/40 inside of Nyrod to 2 separate servos pushing each elev. half.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:53 PM
paperairplanes

Default tuff enuff

you should try bending one of these aluminum rods, they are pretty tuff.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:41 PM
PJC

Default Central Hobbies Carbon Fiber

Expesive, but awesome. Carbon fiber rod thicker walled and thinner than an arrow shaft. Titanium ends. JB weld the Ends to desired cut length. Have to cut it with a cut off wheel on a dremel. Otherwise it splinters, and cracks. This stuff makes 4-40 rods look like cable in comparison. You can pick up a bag of titanium ends, and a couple of diffrent lengths of the rod. It's what the pattern guys use. I even have one on the elevator of my trainer. I really like the extreme rigidity and weight on my 5.5" control rods on my DPM Extra 330L. Never skimp on control. JMHO

Jeff
Old 08-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Jetman007
My Feedback: (6)

Default CF Push Rods w/Titanium Threaded Ends

We carry them as well.

http:www.arts-hobby.com
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
jucava

Default RE: What kind of Pushrods are best

I tap a CF tube to acept a 4-40 and use gorila glue to glue a 1" 4-40 threated rod(only 1/2" inside), lets see, Haven't test it yet.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 PM
carrellh

These come in a lot of Great Planes kits:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK059&P=0
One end is threaded and the other can have a threaded connector soldered on if needed.
The gray housing gets glued into the fuselage. The white splined tube gets cut up and glued along the length of the rod as described by dgrant.

This is a very simple and inexpensive setup that works great for many 40 to 60 size models.

Big models, or those with a lot of load on the pushrods, probably need arrow shafts, 4-40 titanium fittings, and spherical rod ends. So far, I haven’t needed that stuff.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Sullivan blue and red golden rods are not that good! They are not temperature stable and will expand and retract depending on temperature.
What I like best is ordinary steel fishing wire, thinnest possible wire! It's light and gives stiff rudder set ups.
I use it on elevator and siderudder wherever possible.
Next best is aluminum arrow shafts (Easton), these are stiffer and lighter than carbon tubes.
I mostly use the black tubings because these are the hardest (I think).

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

Name:	Jh15434.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	466852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98157.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	466853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37906.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	466854  
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I_FLY_CL
My Feedback: (1)

Jerry Nelson has the tubing in 35 3/4'' lengths
https://www.nelsonhobby.com/propellers.html

ORIGINAL: paperairplanes

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXS020&P=7

that link should be it, if not let me know for the rods. It took me awhile to find em to. 8.99 for 5, 12" rods. if you find em any longer let me know!!!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:42 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sullivan makes a version with a steel inner rod. It looks just like the one on the Tower page linked two post ago.

David