Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Extase or Diablotin FG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Extase or Diablotin FG

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 11:13 PM
EdMan-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extase or Diablotin FG

I've been looking at these two planes, both seem very nice. I'm trying to decide which is the better plane over all and for 3D. I will power the plane with a Saito 100. What kind of covering do these plane have? Thanks for any advice or input.

EdMan
Old 08-16-2002, 11:54 PM
YNOT

Default ??

For a 3D plane, go with the Diablotin FG. The quality of the Top Model planes are fantastic.

Not too impressed with Extase. I don't know why, just something about it. However, to be fair, it may have been the way the plane was set up, it flew noseheavy.

Its all in the set up.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:40 AM
EdMan-RCU

Tony,

Have you flown both, the Diablotin and Extase? I hear the Extase is good quality as well.

Thanks,
EdMan
Old 08-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Mike James

Default Opinion

I'm new to 3D, and have recently done a review of the "Extase" on my non-commercial web site, at http://www.nextcraft.com/rcpp_extase01.html

I've got about 75 flights on it, with a YS .91, (and APC 15/6 prop) and like it more each time I fly it. It's originally designed for a .60 2-stroke. Since I'm new to 3D, I can definitely recommend it as a "first" 3D plane. This plane is very light, and has remarkable low-speed manners. It also slows down immediately on throttle reduction. I can do a medium-speed pass down the runway, pull up into a split S or lomcevak or whatever, and land immediately.

On high rates, it's like watching a cartoon at slow speed. When you think the plane will fall out of the air, you still have very fast roll and pitch rates. It's a lot of fun! The flaperon mix allows you to do 10 ft. diameter loops, inside or outside.

I can only hover the Extase for about 7 seconds max., so far, but any time I hand the transmitter to the local "sky gods", they can hover it as long as they want, as well as do some other 3D maneuvers that are still "tricky" to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21858_2519.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	13764  
Old 08-17-2002, 01:27 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Extase

Im flying the Extase, and have for a couple of months. The build and covering quality is very good, I have no complaints there. The plane comes out very light, even with a YS91AC. Even though mine had CG where recommended, it felt nose heavy. I have since moved the CG 2", and now approaching 3" back from where recommended, and the plane is coming alive. I usually move CG back until a conventional landing is impossible, then moove it forward a bit. Because it is a rather long tail moment plane, it acts very different to input, than the short tail moment funflys I''m used to flying. Flat spins are either not as flat, or if really flattening tham out, becomes more of a tight flat turn. Waterfalls are great, knife edge is a bit hard, I would have liked a larger rudder on this plane. When hovering, don't let if fall off more than 10-15 degrees to the side, or the rudder won't bring it back.
For the money, you can't beat it. I think the Diablotin is about $80 more, decissions decissions he he.
DKjens
Old 08-17-2002, 01:38 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame that some of us have to fly at junky field like Mike's.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Tailman
My Feedback: (3)

Default Hi DK

I bin thinking about your posts. I contacted a man in Texas that I regard as a 3D master! He flies the Extase..actually he bought 2. I sent him the photos and told him of your flying . He said he gets unlimited performance out of his E's using a OS 91. He used only 1 washer for right and no down. He concours with you about CG. he says he slowly moved his back to where he likes it.
So in closing. he said he would loose the extreme right thrust. Go to 1 washer, and remove the down. He has at least 200 sortes on his planes and found this to be the ticket? For what it is worth. Best of luck!
Old 08-18-2002, 08:02 PM
YNOT

Default E vs D

Ed,

Yes, I have flown both, however not back to back, it was about a week between them.

I agree the workmanship of the Extase is very good.

I got to look at another Extase yesterday, and I may have found out why I liked the way the Diablotin flew better. The Wingtips.

I have posted on several occations about the wingtips on 3D planes and Fun Flies. I know the type of wingtip will change the way a plane flies, however its by my own experiments. Like cutting them off.

The Extase's airelons go out to the end of the wing and are part of the wingtip. The Diablotin's airelons do not go to the end of the wing and have a full wingtip. Maybe thats it, I donno, but I noticed that yesterday.

Just get one and FLY!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 02:10 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Wingtips and other

YNOT,
The ZN Madness has the same wingtips, as you described the Diablotin. I have read threads, where experienced 3D pilots cut the wintips of the Madness, because they really hinder the roll rate. The Extase has absolutely no problem with the roll rate as long as your servos are strong enough.

Anthony,
I set my right thrust as per having straigh up lines with neutral rudder, and I still feel that a little down thrust benefits the plane. I flew it yesterday having added another 2 oz of weight to the tail, so I now have my 5 oz battery and the 2 oz. I didn't check where my CG is, but it now has CG where I like it. It requires a little speed and down elevator to land, but apart from that is very flyable. My only problem with the Extase, is the smaller rudder effect in a hover, because of the long tail moment (I know it sounds contradictory, but it's true), so you have to be really smooth, or less smooth and very agressive on the rudder to keep the nose pointed straight up.

DKjens
Old 08-19-2002, 10:07 PM
modest-master

Default Extase versus Diabotin Super FG

First of all I have seen both of the planes. If the Extase is great plane the Diablotin Super FG is fantastic one. There are many different details. The FG has plug-in wings, removable tail, fiberglass cowl and wheel pant, aluminum landing gear and what is most important smooth fiberglass fuselage. The Extase appears identical to Diablotin Super FG but it's not. This is absolutely superior model. I know both manufacturers this is just the copy of the Diablotin with one piece wing and ABS cowl. Guys, please let's just be realistic. By the way the empty weight of the plane is only 53 oz. The Extase is more alike the Diablotin Glow (48 oz. empty weight)

You might check this link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ghlight=esprit]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22150_2143.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	13765