Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What does "preloaded" mean?? (newbie)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What does "preloaded" mean?? (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Flybynight47
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does "preloaded" mean?? (newbie)

I've seen the term "preload" in several threads concerning turbines. What does that mean, please?? Still learning. BTW, is there a book that tells all about turbines, ie, how they work and how the ecu works, start up, etc....what to do and what not to do. Or is all that type info gained from just experience. Thanks, Tom in Ga.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Dave03B

Default RE: What does "preloaded" mean?? (newbie)

Hi, I am in the same boat (newbie to turbine)

I was recommended to get the following two books to familiarise myself with the do's and dont's, and how turbines work.

Will be ordering them soon

[link=https://www.traplet.com/pages/store/action.lasso?-token.cust=12860336&-database=Products.fp3&-layout=CGI&-response=/pages/store/detail.html&id=116&-search]Mike's Jet book[/link]
[link=https://www.traplet.com/pages/store/action.lasso?-token.cust=12860336&-database=Products.fp3&-layout=CGI&-response=/pages/store/detail.html&id=2081&-search]Radio Controlled Model Jet Guide[/link]
Old 12-05-2004, 02:48 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The full compliment, cageless bearings in the turbines today have tapered races, and are required to have some axial force (in the direction that tends to keep the bearing races together) for them to operate properaly at the speeds the engines run at. The "preload" is a spring or springs that act on the bearings to give this force.

I may not be the best at clearly explaining this, but think of it as a spring acting on the outer races of the bearings, that keep the bearings races properly positioned and prevent them from coming apart.

Much information is available by joining the Gas Turbine Builders Association, and also buy Thomas Kamps' 2nd edition of his book on building model turbines, available through Traplet Publishing

AJC
Old 12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, Mikes Jet Book is 99% ducted fan JFYI and Kamps covers turbine jets exclusively. The book I meant to get is:

https://www.traplet.com/pages/store/...d=3581&-search
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Dave03B

thanks for pointing that out. I really want to stay clear of DF now, as they do seem to be fiddly, and tempremental (or is it just my luck)