Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tri-Color Paint lines

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tri-Color Paint lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tri-Color Paint lines

I am trying to paint an F6F-3 Hellcat with the tri-color scheme. I am having a heck of a time getting the shaded line to work between colors (flat white on bottom, non-specular intermediate blue in middle and non-specular sea blue on top). I seem to get a lot of overspray on the lighter color when shooting the other color. I have tried an airbursh and shot just the line, then reshot the rest with a touch up gun (binks 400), but the effect just isnt right. Any suggestions? Also.... I have had really crappy results with latex. It doesnt seem to smooth out completely. What am I doing wrong? I have tried upping the spray pressure, lowering the feed volume, but not reallly a good finish results. I really miss the Chevron and Nelson paints. If anyone knows where I can find some in the above colors.... Please let me know!!
Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tri-Color Paint lines

I've done a few planes in the tricolor scheme using latex. I spray the lighter colors first but usually some of the darker color does get on the lighter ones. I go back over the lighter colors with the airbrush and touch them up where the darker overspray got on.

With latexes, you want lower pressure and higher volume. If you use too much air it makes it dry too fast. You also have to play with the thinning to get it to flow right. Also, I keep a small bottle of water with some Mr. Clean in it, and a small stiff brush, to keep the gun and/or airbrush tip clean.

Jim
Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look Here ---> www.warbirdcolors.com

a water-based, polyurathane, fuel proof paint. It can be sprayed, brushed, air-brushed. Sticks to anything, dries HARD, and the colors are accurate.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Great... this is a good thing. However, I dont see flat white (FS 37875) or a flat clear for decal sealing. [] Is this your company ( I noticed your nickname is the same as the site you sent me to)? and is the "crosslinker" Polyurethane accelerator?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: corsaircrazy

I seem to get a lot of overspray on the lighter color when shooting the other color. I have tried an airbursh and shot just the line, then reshot the rest with a touch up gun (binks 400), but the effect just isnt right. Any suggestions?
Try spraying the darker color with the airbrush perpendicular or angled away from the lighter color to reduce overspray on the lighter color.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdcolors

Look Here ---> www.warbirdcolors.com

a water-based, polyurathane, fuel proof paint. It can be sprayed, brushed, air-brushed. Sticks to anything, dries HARD, and the colors are accurate.
I would also like to see more color choices, such as green zinc chromate for the wheel wells, interior green for cockpit, and black and white for invasion stripes. I like to see a cross linker that can provide fuel proofing up to 30% nitro.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warbirdcolors can match any Federal Standard color upon request. Custom orders via [email protected]. The minimum size for a custom color is 1 quart, anything smaller gets hard to get right. There is a satin clear, not dead flat. (looks like skim milk in the can, but dries to a satin-clear) The crosslinker provides the fuel-proof properties, but also acts as a slow catalyst.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: corsaircrazy

I am trying to paint an F6F-3 Hellcat with the tri-color scheme. I am having a heck of a time getting the shaded line to work between colors (flat white on bottom, non-specular intermediate blue in middle and non-specular sea blue on top). I seem to get a lot of overspray on the lighter color when shooting the other color. I have tried an airbursh and shot just the line, then reshot the rest with a touch up gun (binks 400), but the effect just isnt right. Any suggestions? Also.... I have had really crappy results with latex. It doesnt seem to smooth out completely. What am I doing wrong? I have tried upping the spray pressure, lowering the feed volume, but not reallly a good finish results. I really miss the Chevron and Nelson paints. If anyone knows where I can find some in the above colors.... Please let me know!!
Thanks
For spraying latex I have had my best results at 25 psi - 30 psi. I also add 1 1/2 caps of FloTrol per quart of latex before thinning.

If you can bring a sample of the color you want to a paint store they can color match it for about $10 per quart.