Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Pica Duellist 2/40

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Eric Brathwaite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica Duellist 2/40

[font="Times New Roman"]
Hi guys:
I recently finished a Pica Duelist 2/40 with two Thunder Tiger 52 four stroke for power.
Maybe I should have put in some more down thrust. On the first flight it took of like a bat from hell into a real high stall, which was tamed by cutting back on the power. when I finally turned for my approach an engine shut down in mid turn and it rolled into the tall grass suffering minor damages.
Unfortunatlly I built without first tracing all the parts. Would any of you have templates or tracings of the formers and ribs? Could I get a copy so that I can complete my repairs?
Any advise on increasing the down thrust of the engines? Did anyone experience this problem with your Duelist?
I'll appreciate any help from you.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35061.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	277362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30431.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	277363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69744.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	277364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81328.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	277365  
Old 05-28-2005, 02:47 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Pica Duellist 2/40

Eric:

Really nice looking airplane. Is it from the Pica kit? And was it the laser cut version?

Your experience flying your Duellist is not typical. It's a nice tame airplane with the stock incidences, I suspect there were other factors involved. Was the wind gusting that day?

I think yours is the MK I (kit) version, I don't have that one in electronic storage. I have the entire Mk II scanned in, but there are enough structural differences in the wing that I'm sure that part wont match. Fuselage differences are minor, those parts will probably be fine. Tell me which parts you need.

Also, tell me which wing parts you need, i still have one Pica kit unbuilt. I can take pictures on 1/4" graph paper for you.

Bill.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:49 AM
William Robison

Eric:

Forgot to say "Welcome to RCUniverse."

Bill.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Eric Brathwaite

[font="Times New Roman"]
Bill:
Yes it is a Pica Kit and it is the die cut version not the laser cut. I figured that my experience was unique, since we've had two duelist in our club in the past and they flew very well.
On the day I tried it the wind was gusting between 9 to 13 m.p.h.
Actually the only part that I need right now is formers 4 and 5, which were damaged when the wing tore out. But I would like to have a set of template just in case of future repairs.
Thanks for the welcome.
Eric B.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Eric Brathwaite

Bill:
Cuold you help me out with a copy of the two formers that I need to repair my fuselage?
I've already repair the wing and would like to begin repairing the fuse. Your help will be highly appreciated.
Eric B.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 AM
William Robison

Eric:

I've attached the scan of all the fuselage formers, this scan is the Mk II version.

I have not compared them to the kit (Mk I) version, but any differences in this part should be minor. Compare dimensions to your undamaged formers and scale your new ones accordingly.

If you find there are differences you can't reconcile let me know, I'll dig out my remaining Mk I kit and we'll go from there.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45761.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	303803  
Old 08-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Eric Brathwaite

Bill;
Thanks, I'll let you know how I made out.

Eric.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Look at the angle of attack of the wing when the plane is setting on a level surface. Odds are it will be sitting slightly negative. If it is, then the plane is being held down by the wing until you get enough airspeed for the elevator to over ride the negative angle. At that point, you usually are holding in a lot of "up" and when it takes effect, it really come up abruptly. The other thing may be a nose gear wire that is too flexible and allowing the plane to go slightly nose down on its take off run with the same effect. I have had two duelists and have had this experience with both
Old 08-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Eric Brathwaite

Thanks JL:
I am looking at the relation between the stab and the wing angle and the elevator setting to see if one of them could be the cause of the stall.
I will take your recommendation under advisory.

Eric B.