Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Texas Hurricane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Texas Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Hurricane

Hi Sport Fans:

Finally flew my Texas Hurricane and she preformed just like I knew it would...Has FPE 2.4 and swinging a 20-8 3-W prop...Tacked it on the ground and getting 6600 rpm..this is a brand new engine so,when broken in,rpm's will increase...weights around 12 Ibs.....So far, I can find no fault in flying this plane..landings are very smooth with a little power....Only one problem..Spinner was hitting the cowl,so installed washers between firewall and engine,,was barely touching and then I change spinners..Was using a MPI spinner,then changed to a Tru-Turn spinner.same size, and problem was resolved...found out that MPI spinner back plate was out of round...from now on it's Tru- turn spinners for me...I did increase all control surfaces before test flight..Just added what I thought looked right....Loops and rolls are great.....I am one happy camper..........................
Old 10-10-2002, 01:56 PM
OUTCAST

Default Texas Hurricane

Hey Bananas, now you and Bas need to work out a duet routine! :^)
Old 10-10-2002, 03:41 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Default Texas Hurricane

The new color scheme looks good the ultracote red thats on it looks a little darker than any ultracote i have seen . I really like the colors . Hey out cast we would probally have a midair if we tried that stunt.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:20 AM
GasRookie

Default color

Originally posted by BAS
The new color scheme looks good the ultracote red thats on it looks a little darker than any ultracote i have seen . I really like the colors . Hey out cast we would probally have a midair if we tried that stunt.
looking at Chief they're blue
Old 10-20-2002, 12:57 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Default Texas Hurricane

"weights around 12 Ibs"

12lbs with a gas engine? Are you sure? If thats true this would have to be the best flying 80" gasser out there. Does it take any elevator mixing to knife edge?

Joe Brannon
Old 10-21-2002, 09:31 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Default Texas Hurricane

Joew;

Yep, It sure do weight around 12 Ibs....that is according to my scales that I use..of course it probably is a little off,but am satisfy with it..haven't tried a knife edge yet..just been flying it around to get the engine broken it..very nice landing plane with a little power added .....the weather is pretty cool around here ,so will put it away for the winter and fly it next year.....Try it,you'll like it.,.........
Old 10-21-2002, 06:29 PM
OUTCAST

Default Texas Hurricane

Bananas,
12 pounds ya done good. mine came in at 14, but I can't build for S#&*. Did you know you can change the weight of your plane by 3-onces just by switching 22" props! And if you run gas with ign batteries you can save 9-ounces with battery selection! Amazin aint it.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:58 PM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

Speaking of Batt selectioni have been using nimh batt for ignitions 4.8 not the 5 cell they are super lite thanks Outcast Bruce 1650 packs from Radical rc
Old 10-21-2002, 10:10 PM
OUTCAST

Default Texas Hurricane

Hey Bruce, ya wanna see light packs.......check out Power Flight lithium-ions. 2000 mha regulated to 6 volts and about the weight of a 800 mha 4.8 volt nicad. If ya buy 2 and regulate one @ 4.8v for ignition and the other @ 6v for the receiver you save about 1/2 pound, aint technology cool!
:^)
Old 10-21-2002, 11:45 PM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

Outcast sounds good but what about charging i have the orbit v6 charger i think it will charge the ions ok but i know nothing about them as far as voltage and diferent rates??? the orbit charger is awesome i love it charges up to 6 amps and discharges up to 8 amps I meant to say amps on charging ect
Old 10-21-2002, 11:46 PM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

It does have readout for the ions charging but what is the cost i get all my stuff from Dave Thacker
Old 10-22-2002, 01:20 AM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

Hey outcast check out the new wagstaff extra by GP nice kit i got one yesterday great going to put a taurus 3.2 on it i think still not for sure on motor
Old 10-22-2002, 06:18 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Default Texas Hurricane

Hey Outcast:

I lied..got another scale and weighted the Hurricane..weights 13 Ibs..give or take a few oz.....but it do fly good....thinking of putting the engine from the Laser 2000 ( FPE 2.4), which is broke in, in the Hurricane, and then gfetting another engine for the laser 2000.....What do you think of a G-62 in it????????the firewall is really beefed up on it....Ground clearnce might be a problem....like to have your input ( I do have a G- 62)..BTW, I can't keep up with this guy ( BAS)..always getting something new....I seen the kit, Patty Wagstaff 300 extra, and it is a beauty...NO, am not going to get one..got a big scale bird which I will build this winter...will have my hands full.......Take care
Old 10-22-2002, 09:26 AM
OUTCAST

Default Texas Hurricane

Bas, The charger I use was supplied by power flight and the lith-ions take about 2 hours for a full charge, they never get cycled, and will hold a full charge for weeks. Skyborn/Power Flight is in Texas, there # is 972 267 5099.
I've seen the GP Wagstaff Extra and it looks good, let us know how it flies.
Bananas, the G-62 is used often in the Laser 2000 and is a good combo. there were at least 3 with that engine at the Top of New Jersey Fly-in.
Keep smiling :^)
Old 10-22-2002, 11:47 AM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default Texas Hurricane

Hi Jimmy

I reviewed the Laser 2000 last month
http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...ew&reviewid=27

I used a ZDZ 60, which provides more than enough power at 1/2 throttle. I had no balance issues, however the G62 is a heavier engine. Balance still might not be a problem if you put the batteries in the rear of the hatch compartment.

I am using a 22x10 prop and it will hit the ground on a hard landing. I do not want to go with a smaller diameter prop because I like the breaking affect that it has. I might check with TNT Landing gear to see if they have a little taller gear to let me keep this prop size.

Let me know if you have any questions on the Laser.
Erick
Old 10-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Norman Oliver

Default Texas Hurricane

Hey....
I can't really belive your Texas Hurricane came weighing 12 lbs...!!!! I friend's got the plans, but never decided to build it.... did u any modifications to the plane....? is it wearing a carbon fiber wing tube or landing gear....? is it a gasser...?????????
Have u tried hover and 3D with it...????
I'm flying over 8000 ft ASL, so weight is the magic word here.... A friend's H9 Edge 540 - Moki1.8 - carbon fiber landing gear never came down from 12 lbs being a glow engine powered plane...!
I'll give u a clue on how important weight is here: my GP Cap 232 weights 6.0 lbs sporting a Saito.91: Great pattern plane, but it's barely able to hover and do some 3D...!!! Not even close to unlimited vertical...!!!!!
If u think I could keep the hurricane under 13 -14.5 lbs wearing a DA 50... I won't think twice...!

Greetings
Old 10-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Bozwth

Default Texas Hurricane

You guys that are flying the hurricane with a FPE 2.4, are you happy with it or would you recommend to someone who hasn't gotten an engine yet to get something bigger? And do the FPE 2.4 engines that ya'll are using have the CH ignition option that gives it 500 additional RPM's?

Also, are you guys certain that it's covered with Ultracote?

Thanks, Bozwth (possible future Texas Hurricane Owner)
Old 10-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Bozwth

Default Texas Hurricane

Also, are the tail surfaces airfoil shaped? Are the hinge lines beveled for additional through? Is it the exact same model as the one with the other color scheme or is it a different model altogether? Are the tail surfaces fixed or removable?

Bozwth
Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

The fpe 2.4 will not fly this bird with unlimited vertical but it will perform the basic manuevers and flys it well . I would suggest a 3.2 size gasser for sure like the Taurus or zdz 60 or Brison , Fox ect. The tail section is not beveled leading edges and the new version doesnt have the balance tabs on elevator yes it is ultracote and it is excellant covering job. The elevators are double beveled on mine i have the old style It is a fixed tail I can only say it is a excellant arf and built well with no drawbacks on quality. I would stress to put a 50 or 60 size gasser again on it for great 3d type flying and advanced sport flying. Good luck
Old 10-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Default Hurricane

Well BAS and I have Hurricanes...he has the earlier version and I have the new version wuth the pretty paint scheme.....Also we both have FPE 2.4 's in them....he is going to send his engine in and get the update on it with the new ignition..I'll send my later and do the same thing..believe this might give the engine more power and prehaps make it do 3-D maneuvers a little better.....I put everything ahead of the CG,except for the rudder and elavator servos,and I didn't have to add any ballast..it's a great flying plane....I like it better than my Laser 2000,made by the same outfit.....Try it,you'll like it....................
Old 10-28-2002, 12:46 AM
Bozwth

Default Texas Hurricane

I've tried to check prices for the Taurus's but could only find info about the engines on their website. Where do you purchase these or just find out how much they cost?

I've got access to a good used FPE 2.4 with the CH ignition mod already done. Just wondering if I should go with that and save a little money.

Bozwth
Old 10-28-2002, 01:11 AM
BAS

Default Texas Hurricane

The web site doesnt show price but i just ordered one the TS52 and it will run $569 with out a muffler several kinds of mufflers to choose from the downdraft standard muffler i am using will run 40 bucks. The Taurus motors are expensive but you will not find a dissatisfied customer the biggest quality about them is that there is no midranbe burble and they are really smooth with very litttle vibration . They also have the C/H ignition sychro spark. The motors are built per order not a head of time so it will take about a month to get one. The fpe with c/h update will increase performance about a 400 rps they say i was thinking about getting mine done for the hurricane to have a little more power. If your flying is just sport flying the fpe with be good with the hurricane I run a 20/8 pro Zinger prop on mine and get about 6800 rpms. I think i could get a few more with proper tuning and when the motor gets a little more broke in .
Old 12-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Solo
My Feedback: (63)

Default RE: Texas Hurricane

What size prop is used with a Brison 3.2 on a Hurricane?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:19 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: Texas Hurricane

Try a Mejzlik or Menz 22x8 for your Brison 3.2.