Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

newbie lookingfor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:06 PM
RCnewb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie lookingfor help

hey everyone newbie here! well its almost christmas and i was looking into getting a nice remote control car. i have been looking at the HPI nitro rush...would this be a good car that i can handle? and is it a good car overall? does anyone have experience with it? anwsers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:53 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Others to possibly consider

I think it's an option....the HPI Rush that is....however....other guys here have answered this question before and have directed newbies to other nitro's on the market. One of them is the Losi xxxnt....it's one that gets a high rating for durability....completeness....and dependability.

Some RTR "ready to run" packages do not offer wheel bearings but instead offer bushings. With bearings you'll notice a much nicer rolling rig and it will last longer.

Take a look at "all" of the items offered in a RTR truck / car so you can see why the price is higher or lower. I'm not saying that the HPI Rush is not a good buy...buy if your laying out the cash and don't want to upgrade several items later to make it a better rig....look at the RTR's that are more complete so you don't have to worry about spending $$$ later on.

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=611

http://rushmanslair.hypermart.net/reviews.htm

I'm sure others will offer good suggestions as well.

Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2002, 02:19 AM
RURC

Another brilliant segment from CRASH. He is exactly right.
I love reading what CRASH says he is always concise and on the money with proper clear advice. CRASH you are a man with an introspective sight that few others have here and in other places.

One thing that he did not mention is that if this is your first car I highly recommend that you buy a kit. Yes that is correct. Spend several hours smoothing and placing the parts in their specific positions. This will make diagnosing and repair much, much easier in the near future. Once you have a good base as to how all the little pieces work in conjunction you will have a better understanding of how to make go fast also.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:51 AM
crash_me_over

Default WOW!!!

RURC....What do I say to your kind words? Uh....how about thank you!

As RURC said....kit building will give you a first hand look at the inner workings of how an RC truck / car runs and ticks. Then....sometime in the future...after you have been able to put time on your rig....and it needs attention / repairs.....you'll be able to feel more comfortable tearing it down to fix the problem.

I have to speak with honesty here....my first RC truck was a RTR and not a kit. Because it was RTR....I had many questions to ask the good people here on RCU to help guide me along. I now fully agree with anyone who suggests a new person buy a kit rather than a RTR. Of course my reasons for buying a RTR off the bat was due to time constraints. I also chose the easy way to begin recieving my RC fix by buying an RTR.

Another reason I chose a RTR was because I have not really spent any time with RC trucks / cars before. I figured that buying a RTR would help me see what they are set up like from someone who knows how to set them up. I was using this as a gauge since I do not know others in my small town who are into RC trucks / cars. That was then....now I have met a couple of good people at the local hobby store who have since sold me a 2.5 TMaxx. Yep....it gets into your blood!

I have built and flown airplanes since the 80's so have some knowledge of how things need to go together. Of course some of the "things going together" were directly related to my "dumb thumb" moments....loosing control of the airplane and turning it into a jig saw puzzle right before my eyes. Others call this a CRASH!

Whatever you chose to do.....keep it fun! For me it's a great outlet and a very enjoyable way to spend my time.....even simple things like enjoying looking at RC trucks / cars as they sit idle just begging to be played with. It's a great hobby and there are many good people in the hobby that can be a real resource for your needs. Ask away...and they will answer.

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:32 PM
RCnewb17

After looking around and after hearing what you guys said i am now looking at a losi xxx 4 buggy...i saw it for $269.99. Is this a good price and what are your comments on this car?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:47 PM
crash_me_over

Default Price looks about right

This looks like a nice one!

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=744
Old 11-26-2002, 03:03 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

I have only seen one XXX4 at a race but it was definately a nice little buggy. Anything you get by Losi will be a good product. They have too good of a name to screw it up now. You can also look into Associated becuase they are the same caliber as Losi in the fact they are both world class race winners. Everyone else just stands in the shadow of these two manufaturers.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:21 PM
RURC

I have had both the Losi and Associated. They both are great little buggies and dominate the standings. Personally I know it is because almost no one tries anything else. Schumacher and Mugin (and some others) can't get a real foot in the door. These other companies do not get the benefits of everyone and their mother making hop ups for their cars. Like I said I have had both. I still have my Associated. Not because it is better but, I have had RC-10's for years and had a really good parts bin built up. But I like my Schumacher EVO better for performance. However when it breaks (yes it happens even to me) until I call Schumacher I drive the Associated. I haven't built up that much of a parts bin yet for the EVO.

Recently I haven't been driving either them much at all. I am trying to dial in my 1/8 buggies and truck then I have to build the 1/8 rally car. Not to mention fix the roof, trim the trees, change the o i l i n t h ........
Old 11-26-2002, 03:36 PM
RCnewb17

hey how fast will this go with no uprgares and how long will one tank of gas last?
Old 11-26-2002, 08:30 PM
RURC

I think it has a 75 ml tank. That should be good for about 18 - 20. Kind of depends on how long you use full throttle.
Not really sure on top speed should be around 40 I would guess.
Mike
Old 11-27-2002, 03:58 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

It is Electric guys, no gas tank and it will do about 20 mph or so.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:22 PM
RURC

OKOKOKOKOKOKOK

Did you look at the first post for a NITRO RUSH HPI. I thought that was the one that he was concerned with for the time on fuel. Not the XXX4. Sorry I f I messed up the line of thought.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:15 AM
fullback

i say get an hpi rush it may not be the best race car but!!!!! it is good for outher things liek more off foad like places where you go exploring i dont know much about a gt or losi but all i know is that they are race cars! they are probably alot more bracable
because they are made lighter and less plastic. all these trucks run good for your money but it just depends what u do and if you dont race jsut get liek a t maxx those will do the job but then it is your money and you spend it how you whant to!l

later
Eugene
Old 12-12-2002, 08:06 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Hi, I'm not sure if you're on a budget or not, but if u can muster up the cash, get a T-maxx! You will absolutely have a blast with that truck, it's easy to work on, pretty self explanatory, very durable and more versatile than the stadium truck, it may be pretty big, but don't let the size fool u, it is very agile and think about the huge jumps u can do, not to mention curb climbing and flying down flights of stairs! The possibilities and aftermarket support for the TMaxx too are endless. You could probably find a clean used Tmaxx for under $300, if that's your budget. If you're sticking to the stadium trucks though, I'd say a Losi or a AE GT, especially if u may get more serious into it, they are the top dogs of stadium trucks, but I'd lean more toward the GT not necessarily because it's a better truck, but because over here anyway, parts are readily available for it and it seems parts and hop ups are easier to get for it.