Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:04 AM
TxRoadRunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help

Ok let me start off by saying hello I’m completely new to the RC world and don't know a thing about any of this stuff. (Even if I wanted to do a search for items I would not know what to look for) As chance would have it I’ve decided to go with a Savage X or Savage X SS. Well here is my question.

1. What are the must haves when building your first Truck? (Please list the most basic of items as well)
2. What are the nice to have stuff?

Thanks for any and all help
TxRR

By the way I plan on using the spectrum DX3 any pros or cons about this radio (any comments welcomed)
Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 AM
paintstikker

Default RE: Newbie help

Most kits requirebasic)

Radio System
Throttle servo
Steering servo
Receiver (if not included in radio system)

(nitro)
Glow Plug
Fuel
Glow Plug wrech
Glow starter

Should have, but not reqiured

Failsafe
High Torque steering system (mostly on nitros, electric doesnt really need HT).

Savage X SS is the best Savage there is out there (the latest one, anyway). Id say a kit is better, because youll know how the truck goes together, equalling an easier fix. But since you dont have any experience, a RTR would be easier if you were going nitro.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 AM
SpikeX

The Savage X SS is simply the best Savage out there, and has all the best upgrades as stock (heavy-duty drivetrain, K4.6 engine). The Savage X RTR is also a great truck, and was my first proper R/C vehicle, but will cost you more in the long run as you will probably want to upgrade the electronics, and it will break much more easily than the X SS.

If you will be building a kit, you will also need:

Receiver Switch (with charging lead is a good idea, but without is fine)
5-Cell 2/3AA 6V Hump Battery Pack

A good set of hex drivers is also very handy when building a kit.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:34 PM
TxRoadRunner

paintstikker, SpikeX Thanks for your comments, I must say I find it hard to belive in such an active forum that this is all the comments, anyway thanks again.........peace.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The DX3 is a very good radio and I have been using mine now for about 6 months. I will never run anything else again but 2.4GHz. They have an up date version now the DX3.0. I have the older Savage 4.6 SS and it has been a great truck. HPI has very good instructions and if you want the best get the X SS.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
TxRoadRunner

ORIGINAL: 46u

The DX3 is a very good radio and I have been using mine now for about 6 months. I will never run anything else again but 2.4GHz. They have an up date version now the DX3.0. I have the older Savage 4.6 SS and it has been a great truck. HPI has very good instructions and if you want the best get the X SS.
Thanks for the update on the DX3. I was unaware that a new updated one had been released.