Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Can micro-swithes sequence gears & doors? HEP ME!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Can micro-swithes sequence gears & doors? HEP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
dbcooper14
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can micro-swithes sequence gears & doors? HEP ME!

I thought using micro-switches to sequence gear and doors would be a piece of cake...NOT! I have been drawing schematics for hours and dozens of configurations and all have stalled (don't work). Yeah, I know, there are easier ways (like UP3 valve) but I had 2 retract valves and micro switches are cheap so I started on it.

Here’s the setup: 2 micro-switches, one activated by the gear in full retraction (up in the well) and the other activated when the doors are fully open. One retract valve for the gear and the other valve for the doors and each has its own servo. I bought a solderless breadboard (niffty little device) to test the circuit ideas. I'm using the retract wires from the reciever providing power (+ -) and the signal. The signal and ground are common with the servos and the pos. is the variable with the switches (depending on the switch levers). The pos. runs first to the switches and the switches routes it to the servos. The closest is one step away from the original position before it stalls. I start with the gear down and the doors open and run step by step...gear retracts, triggers doors, doors close... toggle again for another sequence... doors open, gear can't come down.

I think there is an element that needs to be included like an on/off switch. I have searched the web to understand electronic components better (to say the least, I have a base knowlege of electricity) and have stumbled across single pole and double pole on/off switch that might work. I'd appreciate any suggestions,

For some reason I can’t upload a picture here (error message), this is a direct link to a page off my website. I hope the pic will simplify what I’m describing.

[link]http://www.egelerdesign.com/schematic.html[/link]
Old 03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Can micro-swithes sequence gears & doors? HEP ME!

I am not sure I follow your circuit diagram, but the concept works; I have it in a Sea Fury. The micro switch in the wheel well needs to be only in the power wire to the door servo and the micro switch on the door linkage is only in the power lead to the servo driving the retract valve. The two servos run off a wye from the retract channel. I did use two micro switches in the wheel wells so that the doors could not move unless both wheels were up. Logic is: gear can only move when door is open and door can only move when gear is completely up. Switches wired normally open and make the circuit with gear up or door open.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
dbcooper14
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks alot! I never thought of a y-harness from retract channel, I was so tunnel vision to make this work, I didn't think of that. The micro-switches in each wheel well sounds great but how do you have the two switches hooked up to operate only when both wheels are up? To sum up my knowlege of electricity is I know open and closed cicuits.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The switches in the gear wells are wired in series--both switches have to close to complete the circuit.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Forget all the switched. I use the following sequencer with great success.
http://www.sitewavesstores.com/Merch...uct_Code=A2002

Although the site doesnt include alot of details, the included instructions walk you step by step through the gear/gear door setup.

Mike
Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

An even better and far simplier way to operate the Gear and Doors, and weighs next to nothing and compact; and will use your two air valves; I use one on a P-47 with gear doors and ithis thing works great; one flip of the retract switch on your radio and this device does the rest; fully programmable; find it at this web site:

http://www.gccustomelectronics.ca/gdc1.html