Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Prayers for a friend

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Prayers for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
lugebob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prayers for a friend

I regret to report that a friend of mine from the drag strip, Bob Motz and his son Scott, have suffered extremely severe burns from a horrific Exhibition Jet related accident this past weekend. They need all the prayers we can muster up for their recovery and healing. Just as you guys helped me with the tips and the design of the Jet Luge, Bob Motz, "The King of Quake", showman ,drag racer, and builder and driver of the 17,000 lb thrust J79 Kenworth Jet Truck, helped me as the newbie in exhibitions at the dragstrip. We shared stories, poked fun, and he told me many wise things on how to conduct business. He even lent me a big old switch from his truck, when my "trim" function switch failed just before a run. We had fun with the fact that he had the absolute biggest jet show and mine was the smallest. I would make my run in front of the crowd, make my way to the end of the track and get in a position to see his show. You could almost feel the heat from his fire show 1/4 mile away and when he passed the finish line at 234mph the forces would about knock you over. This man has been pleasing the crowds for years, and his son worked his butt off as crew chief and mechanic. For someone that has few heroes, I can tell you that Bob Motz is one of mine. Please help his recovery along with your daily prayers. It could only be God's will that this man climbed out of the truck and is still alive.

I am posting this video link for educational purposes only. If you are weak stomached or someone that make hobby of pointing fingers.. do not watch it or comment please.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, does not help Bob heal, but perhaps we will all take a lesson on keeping vigilant with our safety procedures and finding ways to refine them, for ourselves, family and those around us. As much as you try to do it right, it can still go wrong. He has been doing this sort of thing for almost as long as I have been alive and he knows the score.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXtb8A_7bLM]Bob Motz' accident[/link]

May God give Bob and his family the strength to pull through this ordeal.

Remember him like this, Scott is the round guy in front of the truck directing his dad. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FG_FR7kBuU]Bob's Show[/link]

Bob Swartz
www.jetluge.net
Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
SinCityJets

Default RE: Prayers for a friend

God Bless!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Prayers for him and his family.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

OMIGAWD !!!!

Ususally fires are at the other end of the track. Hopes and prayers for speedy recoveries for all the injured people !!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,
That was horrific. How bad were they burned? Could he not get out of the truck? Did the fuel spray everywhere prior to its ignition?
My prayers are with them, I hope they recover quickly.
TOmmy
Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. That sends shivers down your spine, just watching it.

Best wishes to Bob, his family, and the track workers that also were injured.

What a costly reminder to all of us of how careful we need to be with our toys.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Was he wearing a flame suit ?? V..
Old 06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
lugebob

The first thing is that I must tell you that I was not there. Anything I know is from the news, internet, comments from other Jet Car drivers that were there, and from spending previous time with Bob and Scott.

Bob does wear all the NHRA, IHRA, SFI required fire and crash equipment need to run in this class. There is NO option. This vehicle is a (new this year) fiberglass body over a tube frame with a pretty hefty and tight fitting roll cage. It appears the fuel leak was under the body toward the right side and under pressure spraying everywhere. If it was under the body then most likely it was all over the cab area and on his suit. Bob's son got burned trying to open the doors that were reportedly melting. Bob eventually climbed out the passenger side of the cab and dropped to the ground that was already on fire. Emergency shutdown and escape is practiced blindfolded, but who knows how anyone would react in this situation.. older than most of us, on fire, strapped into a roll cage in a fire suit and a helmet attached to the newly required Hans device. He got out as fast as he could.... and his son and track workers worked to put him out with hand extingushers. Bob took his own suit off and moved himself to the ambulance. Im told this is prefered if possible, over an emergency crew handling a victim with 2nd and third degree burns. His contdition has been upgraded since his admittion to the burn hospital, but the details are not public.

If I hear anything I will post.

thanks
bob