Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SPEKTRUM Works AWSOME!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SPEKTRUM Works AWSOME!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEKTRUM Works AWSOME!!!!!

I got a few more flights on my Hornet today using the Spektrum module with the AR9000 Rx in my JR 10X radio.
The support from John Redman and Chris Huhn of Horizon is second to none, and really made me warm and fuzzy about installing this system into the only jet that I have, and cant afford to replace. This is the reason for me going with the Spektrum in the first place. I checked the flight log on the first ,very brief test flight close in and not letting it get outside the pattern, and phoned in the numbers to John and Chris.

The numbers were as follows:
Antenna fades on internal Antenna A=000
Antenna fades on internal Antenna B=002
Antenna fades on left external Antenna=000
Antenna fades on right external Antenna=(not installed)
Frame loss=0
Holds=0

John and Chris both agreed that these numbers were very low (good low) and would show higher once I flew out further and for longer periods of time.
Today I flew two hot fueled flights back to back without turning off and resetting the system and the numbers were not much higher then the first flight by itself.
Both flights were flown very hard and far out as I usually fly. I fully expected to have more fades/loss, which would still be in the normal range of operation, and was pleasantly surprised at the results. Any doubts/questions I originally had with this technology were trumped by its incredible performance, and if I can ever afford another one of these toys...... it will be driven by a Spektrum.

Here are a couple of pic's of my plane/install. I posted install pics on another thread, but they are more suited for this post. The system, as you can see, is incredibly easy to install and the instruction booklet that comes with it is very thorough.

Thank you Chris Huhn and John Redman of Horizon for helping me with all my stupid questions...........even on a Sunday!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62760.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	714908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99574.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	714909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34666.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	714910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23402.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	714911  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SPEKTRUM Works AWSOME!!!!!

The system, as you can see, is incredibly easy to install and the instruction booklet that comes with it is very thorough.

Thank you Chris Huhn and John Redman of Horizon for helping me with all my stupid questions...........even on a Sunday!

Dave,
I feel so dawn good too without answer any of your question.
Special thanks to John and Chris put up with Dave many stupid questions.

BTW Dave. You got whole week to get me money from the ATM machine. No more excuse you don't have money.
No money. No fuel. No fuel mean no fly.......you got it. This week I be flying EDF. So I don't have to bring fuel. Unless I got another Franklin bill.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 AM
Dave from Downunder

Dave,

What is the difference between the Spektrum and the Weatronic?????
What made you choose to install the Spektrum over the Weatronic?

David Arnot
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave from Downunder

Dave,

What is the difference between the Spektrum and the Weatronic?????
What made you choose to install the Spektrum over the Weatronic?

David Arnot
i think the answer is : 2330Mhz give or take[>:]
Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
marm
My Feedback: (1)

I was really impressed by the spectrum and your bug today, was a balst to see even in all that wind!

Barry
Old 07-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

Well after having my F-18 F go into fail safe a few times on the ground while ground testing before the maiden flight [X(], I decide it was time to explore the 2.4 gig.

So i converted my MX 22 radio over to 2.4 gig and flew 2 of my most problematic models. One was a yak 55 and one was a 30 sized electric helicopter.

The yak would always glitch every flight and some time completely lock out for 2 or so seconds before coming back on line. The helicopter was the same and i could never seem to resolve the radio problems. [:@]

so i put the 2.4 gig receivers in and bingo !!!!!!!!!!! NO glitches , NO lockouts , No problems , No frequency cards NO BS.

Also the reaction time is MUCH !!!!!!!!! faster. The yak is a lot more responsive and the servos work a lot quicker say 30% quicker Not expected As for the copper same deal quicker everything.

I have to be careful because if i forget to turn the plane off it makes NO sound what so ever where it used to hummmmm and chatter all the time now its just rock solid and i cant tell if its on or not.

Any way getting Back to the Hornet. I have installed the extra receiver and the flight data box. This gives me 4 receivers and the box shows me how everything is working.

I plan to test fly the Hornet this week so i hope all goes well. I have also converted my Boomerang and Roo to 2.4 gig as well all on the Ar 9000 so i will fly them first so see how they perform.

2.4 gig is the way of the future and im liking it so far.

Name:	Sp45413.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	714992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49110.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	714993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46071.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	714994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56989.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	714995  
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not that easy. The binds don't hold, it's awkward to program and the quality of the transmitter case is crap. Paint is already peeling off of mine! I'm talking about the Spectrum 7 though not the module.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

21 flights now on the Spectrum module system and AR9000 in the jet. I get anywhere from low single digits to high teens on the numbers varying from flight to flight. Hard to complain about losing a few tenths of a second or less of data out of 10 to 12 minutes of on time.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 65 jet flights and 150+ total flights in the past 6 months without any failsafes or other issues.

Guess at least we know it works on hornets!

Name:	Fd93480.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	715215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65350.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	715216  
Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Dave Presta

Paul,WOW lots going on inside your jet.

Dave from down Under, good to see you online we miss the crap out of you over here....come back to the Taj-ma-Tamjets soon so we can go do some flying.
To answer your question there was/is nothing wrong with the weatronics rx, it is a very proven system that as you know we have all had good luck with. The Spektrum 2.4, is a new technology all together and after seeing it proven by the Horizon guy's, felt it was time to put one in my Hornet. You have been to the big jet shows with us and know how crazy it is with frequency pins and waiting....and waiting......and waiting.....and still have a chance of getting shot down by someone just wanting to cycle their landing gear in the pits. This way there is no chance of getting shot down by another transmitter and just makes me feel better going to these big shows. Remember, our field also has over 400 club members and new people joining all the time who may not have the routine down yet for getting their pin before turning on the radio to their trainer.

Take Care,
Dave
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Dave from Downunder

Thanks Dave
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

I have been using a 7ch SPEKTRUM in a Giant Aeromaster with a Fuji 43 in it. rock solid so far no matter how far away I fly or what attitude the plane is (and the unshielded plug wire of the fuji has caused problems on 72 mhz!), as soon as my futaba 9ch modules come in I'm planning to convert to 2.4 gig in 2 jets.. it's not that the futaba is unreliable, but I don't want any of my planes to suffer what happened to D. Schulmans Ultra EVER!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 PM
taprackflip
My Feedback: (29)

Is it REALLY proven?? I am still waiting.

Waiting for a response.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave, did you took extra care on where to install the recievers? I have heard that CF as well as other materials may block the signal. Did you get some hints from the guys at Horizon?

I am really looking foward to install one of these systems on my jets...

By the way your F-18 looks awesome...

Michel
Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: taprackflip

Is it REALLY proven?? I am still waiting.

Waiting for a response.
What else do you want George? People are using them, and they are working. My aircraft is not the test bed, I'm just a customer. I'm sure the Horizon guy's have plenty of data on their testing, maybe you should be asking them?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: mdurand

Hi Dave, did you took extra care on where to install the recievers? I have heard that CF as well as other materials may block the signal.

Michel

Michel,

To the best of my knowledge, this is the case on any radio installation. The TamJet Superhornet does not use a large amount of carbon fiber in the layup, so this was not an issue, there is only a small strip along the fuselage seamline...not enough to worry about. Carbon fiber is only a problem if your rx (or antenna) is surrounded by the material, or enough carbon is in close enough proximity to shield the antenna from signal at a given angle.

Thank you for the compliment, good luck with your Spektrum and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Take Care,
Dave
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got several airplanes I don't "need" to convert right off. Is it possible to switch back and forth between Spektrum and 72mhz, or is it a pain enough for that routine to just throw those 72mhz receiver airplanes on an older dedicated 72 mhz transmitter? (I'll be using a conversion module on my favorite familiar TX vs going with a new Spektrum TX).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dave...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

I've got several airplanes I don't "need" to convert right off. Is it possible to switch back and forth between Spektrum and 72mhz, or is it a pain enough for that routine to just throw those 72mhz receiver airplanes on an older dedicated 72 mhz transmitter? (I'll be using a conversion module on my favorite familiar TX vs going with a new Spektrum TX).
Pretty simple Eddie. I take my module and antenna off my 10X anyway to transport in the case, it only takes a minute to plug in the module and put on the antenna. The Spektrum rx is exactly the same to install as any ordinary 72 mhz rx, just plug the servo leads into the same channel and away you go. The programming is in the Tx so you don't need to do anything special.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE. That is what I was hoping to hear!