Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rough field wheel pants

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rough field wheel pants

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough field wheel pants

Hey guys. I posted this tip in my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7166161/anchors_7167367/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7167367]SSE thread[/link] over in Kits, but wanted to share it here as well

I fly off a grass runway, and I love the way wheel pants dress up a plane. So I came up with a way to mount them that makes them more resistant to damage. I attached a paint drawing that should give you the jist. I poly glue 1/8 ply squares to the inside of the scuffed up pant. I fiberglass that after the poly dries. The axle extends into the outboard 1/8 ply to give the outer side support. I use washers to space the wheel away from the inboard side. I use a 6/32 1/4 cap screw instead of a grub screw in the Dubro wheel collar, and of course grind a flat spot for that screw to sit. The inboard ply not only gives more support, but is also used to screw the landing gear to. I've got pants on at least 6 planes in my fleet, and I hve never damaged one mounting them this way.

Hey Minnflyer, if you read this feel free to dress up my caveman drawing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18477.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	893638  
Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
BillyGoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rough field wheel pants

Great idea! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I've have some wheel pants on a plane right now that have been giving me a bit of a fit. I belive this treatment is just the ticket.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rough field wheel pants

I roughly do the same idea using Sig pant holders on both sides of each pant to greatly reduce the flexing that shatters the pant. I also have found the larger the ply sheet along the lip of the wheel opening the greater the strength.