Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Foam Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
tburriss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Rubber

This isn't exactly a fascinating subject but I thought I'd pass along some info about the properties of foam rubber. Some of this stuff works good for cushioning for a crash or hard landing, some does well for dampening vibration.

I learned today that the nice soft foam rubber used to pack electronic components for shipping do cushion well but aren't so good for dampening vibrations. I can get this stuff free in the trash bin at work, but I also bought some of the hobby store latex foam rubber specifically designed for RC. Since the cost was around $4 for the hobby store foam, I decided the free trash-bin stuff would be good enough. However, to see which is better for dampening, I used a hand-held backvibrator. When placed between the vibrator and your back, some of the shipping foam actually enhanced the vibration, and none of it had any dampening effect at all. However, the latex foam rubber was very effective.

So - for cushioning, the trash bin foam might be just as good. But, if your looking to protect, say your fuel tank, from vibration - then get the latex foam rubber.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Rubber

I did a similar test between the packing type foam I had been using, and some Memory Foam from a matress pad someone gave me. The Memory foam is rubbery, and was many times better at dampening vibration than the other kind of foam. I bet at a mattress store one could find lots of scraps for next to nothing. I will be looking for more when I start getting low on what I was given, its great stuff.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Foam Rubber

Weigh up the foam and see the difference in weight. I use the closed cell foam used in Swim Noodles, the flat ones. A full sheet only weighs 98 grams and that is for a piece 3/4"x5 3/4"x57 3/4" or 249 cubic inches. That figurs out to 2.5 cubic inches per gram. I'll bet the "memory" foam is at least 10 times as dense.

The soft packing sheets used for electronics packaging are even better. You can twist a sheet for added volume and in this configuration there is a minimum of vibration transfer.

A secondary benefit of this closed cell foam is that it doesn't soak up fuel in the event of a tank or line leak. Most of the foam rubber stuff is like a sponge in that reguard. The swim noodle stuff also stands up well to fuel. I placed a piece in a jar of 15% fuel and let it set for a week. I took it out and there was a bit of fuel trapped in the open cels along the cut lines. There was no penetration beyond this surface and there was no deteration of the foam.

Don