Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Any alternatives to expensive CA? Like cheaper stuff?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Any alternatives to expensive CA? Like cheaper stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:02 PM
smartman300
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any alternatives to expensive CA? Like cheaper stuff?

I am 16 and low on funds. What is a good super glue that is cheaper, by unit, more than the CA that is in Tower Hobbies?

Example:
.5 oz @ $1 is cheaper then 1 oz @ 3

Something like that. Any thin CA, I HATE the gel, the trail goes everywhere, like on a hot glue gun.

Anyway, what are the cheapest prices I can get on CA?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cheapest prices

Cheapest prices on CA I have found is at Tower Hobbies. 4 oz bottle for 11.99 most lhs and other sources have 2 oz at between 10 and 22 bucks.

Joe
Old 05-07-2003, 12:18 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

If you want to take your time and want to avoid the fumes, yellow carpenters glue works just as well as CA and is cheeper. And is easy to clean up and realign.

Just a thought and good luck.

AL
Old 05-07-2003, 01:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a combination of CA and carpenters glue. As an example, on a cap strip, I use a dot of CA on each end, and one in the middle, then carpenters glue on the rest(leaving a little space between them so they don't mix too much when pressed in place. That way, the CA holds it in place while the AR glue dries.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CA

Superior Balsa & Hobby Supply in Hawaiian Gardens, CA. Check Model Aviation for their ad. 2 oz CA any type $5.25, 8oz $17.99. However, the shipping & handling will defeat the savings on small orders.

Titebond, Probond, Gorilla Glue, etc., are also good if you can wait a hour or two between major glue operations. There isn't much you can't do with Titebond but you'll have to learn to pin & tape everything together while drying. Even a 4 oz bottle will do at least one plane if not several plus you get it at the local hardware store or sometimes the dollar store.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:58 PM
ProfLooney

Default Superior Balsa

Heres their website http://www.superiorbalsa.com/

Joe

PS instead of paying high dollar for a little 1 oz bottle of debonder to get it off your fingers etc just goto wally world (walmart) and get a qt of acetone its basically the same stuff and a quart is like $2.5 compared to 2 oz of debonder for $1.99
Old 05-14-2003, 01:50 AM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

Smartmann,
Like Minnflyer, I use Ca only to "spot-weld" pieces together, I'm hardly ever in such a hurry that I can't wait for the good old "yeller" glue to dry.
I buy a gallon of titebond for about $12,, and that'll last me till my grandkids are flying, You can also thin it with just a very small amount of water if needed,,,,
One trick I do use with the tite-bond is that I use a large syringe that I get at the local AGWAY, (they sell them for giving injections to cows and horses,, they're about $1.50 ea.) , and with the tite-bond, all you have to do is rinse it out under hot water, so they're 100% re-usable.
What I'll do ,say on a wing, is "spot weld" all the ribs to the spar, so that everything is held in place with thin Cya,,, then I'll go over EVERY joint with a lightly thinned layer of TiteBond. Extremely strong joints,,,,, and extremely low cost!!!

Just my $.02 worth!!!

John
aka "Murphy"
Old 05-14-2003, 01:55 AM
CafeenMan

I don't use CA at all for construction. Only for hardening threads in wood for items such as wing bolts. Other than that all general construction is Carpenter's glue with some epoxy used in high stress areas and polyurethane glue used for laminating (epoxy works fine too).

CA is just bad news. Hardly any redeeming qualities and lots of drawbacks.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:58 AM
ProfLooney

Default GLUE

Originally posted by murphy
Smartmann,
What I'll do ,say on a wing, is "spot weld" all the ribs to the spar, so that everything is held in place with thin Cya,,, then I'll go over EVERY joint with a lightly thinned layer of TiteBond. Extremely strong joints,,,,, and extremely low cost!!!

I do similar when I know I have to wait on something but here is another trick. goto your favorite food store and buy some food coloring. pick your favorite color (i like blue because red makes it pink yuck!!) and add a few drops of food coloring to your glue then when you walk away to let it dry and come back later you can do a quick visual to make sure you got glue everywhere you wanted to.

Joe
Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 AM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

ProfLooney,
Man I just love having a few extra hours to go through these forums,,,,your tip is something I would never have thought of!!! (my 15 yr. old daughter is gonna just LOVE the different colored glues she's gonna see on my bench now!!!)

John
aka "Murphy"
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 AM
ProfLooney

Default LOL

It's a talent you get when you go insane. You just think of ways to entertain yourself in the shop.

Joe

PS dont forget then to use red to give her a Pink glue
Old 05-14-2003, 10:24 AM
cabanestrut2002

when i was on work experience at a loudspeaker manufacturing company i mentioned to one of the full time workers that i used a lot of ca in my hobby, he told me he would get me some... altogether he got me 4 bottles of 4 oz of both thin and thick ca, completely free!
that lasted me a while, and there is no better price than free!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Cactus.

The same goes if you work for the local airbase Cartman, or, an electronice company, we had this stuff that was 180 quid a bottle!!!!!! kicked ass to normal cyno tho.

www.rcworld.co.uk has great prices for a pack of three bottles in the 3 diffrent viscosties, just 4.99. the thin could be a bit thinner tho, or it might just be coz its been in a hot shed and starting to go off. fridges are great if your allowed to use them
Old 05-15-2003, 12:35 PM
pikebishop

I build almost exclusively with titebond. it sands well is very strong inexpensive and I believe makes for a lighter plane .no fumes to damage your brain also.epoxy on important things like firewall and landing gear.I also believe the titebond is much stronger than ca. also if you build well,ie tite fitting joints the glue cures pretty quickly as long as you don't use too much.ca is highly overrated and I rarely use it. usually for tacking something or for hardening balsa.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
ProfLooney

Default Quid?

Originally posted by phillybaby
The same goes if you work for the local airbase Cartman, or, an electronice company, we had this stuff that was 180 quid a bottle!!!!!!
Ok Philly I just have to ask Whats a friggin quid? its one of them funny tentacled things from the ocean right? lol

Joe
Old 05-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Cactus.

Its not one of those damn nasty tacky sucky Euros thats for sure!!!!!!!, its the good ole UK pound
Long live the pound
Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lonestar-models.com

8 OZ. $16.50
Old 05-15-2003, 02:54 PM
ProfLooney

Default quid

Oh ok i understand pound man ya need ta speak english lol I had actually heard of a quid but i wasn't sure exactly what it was I was thinking the equivelant of a quarter or something.

Joe
Old 05-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Cactus.

ahhhhh but i am speaking English any Englishman can understand quid, the problem is i wasnt speaking American
good thing is tho, with all your TV we Brits can understand American ok, quaters, dimes, cents

like your little signiture btw, sommit i live by
Old 05-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Default Cheap CA

smartman300,
Another thing you might want to try is to get the very thin tubing that goes on the nozzel of the CA bottle. The inside diamater is so small, only very small amounts will come out of the bottle instead of flowing freely. You can easily get at least twice as much useage for your money. Your LHS should stock the tubing. The last time I bought it, it came in a container with a bunch of regular CA tips. I think it's made by Pacer.
...Steve