Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

clutch dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Hairballusmaximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch dust

I have been checking a lot of boats both clutched and direct drive. I know my Rio has no air filter on it and decided to see if any others did. I found none!
What about the clutch dust? The clutches slip a little before grabbing and this will generate a little dust inside the hull. Is this an issue? Do any of you guys run a filter because of this?

One other question: my Rio does not have any kind of seal where the exhaust header bolts to cylinder, is this normal?
I have read that some use an o-ring seal to the water cooled manifold but thats it. Mine seems to have slight seepage between the water cooled manifold and the cylinder and also between the header pipe and the manifold. Any suggestions on fixing this or is this normal.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: clutch dust

If there is ever enough dust to be a problem to the motor there is a bigger problem in the clutch.

Most boats dont use air cleaners - no reason why you cant. Just never found the need.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Dreamin Hemi

No dust on the water!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Hairballusmaximus

As far as the air filter goes I know most full size boats dont run them either, mostly just a spark arrestor or flame arrestor in case of a backfire. I really dont want to run one and as long as its direct drive there is no reason too. I just thought maybe the clutch dust might be an issue. But the clutch simply may not ever slip enough barring a catastrophic problem to create enough dust to be a problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind too that we ventilate the boat quite well for cooling purposes. there is plenty of air flow under the cowl.

When it comes to clutch shoes - I install mine back to front so they wont slip easy at all. More of a lock up clutch setup.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Hairballusmaximus

Ok, I gotcha on that JAW. I do that on my HPI Baja also to cut down on the clutch wear. That will def keep any clutch dust from appearing.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
monsterbrad

I had an old aluminum clutch set up in my revenge boat and it had it in there from the previous owner and there was dust all over everything.
I feel that the motor will just eat the aluminum and exhaust it out with little or no damage.
Then again I have just installed the WWH new clutch system and mount and I am waiting for the new solderless drive unit for it.
But there was dust the old way and this motor seems to be fine.