Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DIY Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DIY Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
RockEnRoller6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Turbine

(Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, feel free to move it to the correct place!)I'm sure many people think wow! I'm going to build my own RC turbine! Which in turn, they have no understanding on the principles of turbines or how one operates. Just to show that I am serious about this project I am in my second year of obtaining my FAA Airframe and Power Plant certification, and I'm also in the Air Force. So The reason I want to construct my own turbine is not for installation into an aircraft, but rather as a valuable learning tool and visual aide. Working on F-16 on the flight line has also left me with a great deal of wanting safety involved, even though this is only going to be a small turbine. It is however in my mind a functioning turbine, and like its big brothers, it demands respect and safety. Indeed there are many sellers on the internet that offer DIY planes, 99% of the time you can gather in your mind they are a waste, even if you don't purchase their plans. Searching through many sites I decided to see what ebay had to offer. Under RC Turbines this is a seller that caught my eye. He has a credible feedback score. I was thinking about going ahead and buying his plans, and seeing if they would be worth my time and effort. On the down side I have been reviewing his numbers and I can't seem to get how he claims the max thrust to be 28lbs? I will go over them again, I might has missed something, but from what I am getting his plans seem to resemble the JetCat P120. So if some of you other turbine heads could look over this information, let me know if you would agree that this could be a good project to undertake. Thanks!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DIY Turbine

Best source of info I know of, for info on home building turbines, is http://www.gtba.co.uk/

They have plans etc available for well proven designs. There's likely to be much less risk there than with some randomly sourced plans from ebay IMO.

Gordon
Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 AM
erazz

More often than not plans found on ebay are not worth the paper they're printed on.

I too suggest you contact the GTBA. Besides plans and knowledge you'll have support from some very experienced people.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
RockEnRoller6

Sounds good, I was looking at Jet Joe models, Yet I want to construct the engine myself. I liked the fact that the seller had CNC plans and everything included. I looked back through his feedback, and found that many people were satisfied. On the other hand, like both of you said the plans are likely not worth the time or money. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
RCJET101
My Feedback: (10)

Check out Wren turbines ( http://wrenturbines.co.uk/accessories.php?show=acc_home ) their accessories page has parts, plans and are of the best quality. They also offer very good support. I have seen a lot of quality issues talked about here in the forums concerning Jet Joe you may want to do a search and see what comes up.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy called Thomas Kamps wrote the bible on what you are trying to do. This is essential reading!

http://www.amazon.com/Model-Jet-Engi...5232805&sr=1-1

many people have built successful engines using his principles without complex machine shops. I have even seen one run which had a wooden compressor.