Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Water Proofing Float Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Water Proofing Float Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:42 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Proofing Float Planes

Well,... you shouldn't land inverted or flip over,... BSH! How do you guys water proof the wood parts of your float planes. Is there a light weight coating that is painted or applied throughout to protect the wood? What are some tips for protecting the electronics? ECT...
Old 05-14-2003, 02:57 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't use anything to protect the wood really, but I will poly the radio compartment just like you would fuel proof a tank compartment. If you're using nyrods or something similar, a glob of Vaseline in the outer tubing will keep water from wicking up the tube.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:00 PM
FalconWings10

That's a really good idea. Does that mean that IF something were to happen and my plane flips over that by just letting the plane dry out is good enough? What about warping?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:10 PM
BillHarris

I don't float planes, yet, but when I do, I'd figure that any wood that's wetable will get brushed with thinned clear dope just in case it gets, uh, wetted. That would add negligible weight and much better protection.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Balsarite (for film) in the fuselage box and aileron bays. Thinned epoxy in the tank compartments and firewall.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:21 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying off water a long time . Here are a few things I have learned about water and protecting your plane. Fabric coverings hold up better then films. Balsa-rite does help but just a thin coat of dope on the balsa helps. Make sure you leave air holes in the ribs of your wings and a place for moisture to vent if it does get into the wing. The biggest thing is to protect your receiver and battery pack from water. I use small plastic bags rubber band tightly around the wires to keep moisture out of the receiver and battery.
I always fly off of fresh water. if the very worst happens and your equipment gets wet just open it up and let it air dry.
If your engine gets wet take the glow plug out and flush the engine with glow fuel. I have never had a problem restarting an engine once this is done.
If a servo gets water in it take the servo out of the plane and remove the lower case and let air dry.
Over the years I have had more then a few flip overs and such on water. unless its a bad spill or crash just dump the water out of the plane open it up for a short time, let it dry a bit and go back flying.
The whole trick to trouble free water flying is having a reliable engine, "unless your using electric power".
I use four stroke engines and found they give a very reliable power source. I have used Saito and OS for the most part and found either brand work well.
If you are going to be flying a plane with floats it does take a bit more power to get off the water so up the engine size a bit. Overkill is not needed.
Never use wood prop. A wood prop hitting water is like it hitting concrete.
Make sure the wood glue you build the plane with is not water soluble. "Don't ask"
If you are buying a flying boat type ARF aircraft the very best way to check for unseen holes is to fill the plane with water. all holes show up this way. To seal the little holes I just use some GE clear silicone seal . stuff holds like iron and solves the problem.
And do yourself a big favor USE WATER RUDDERS.
Nothing like trying to bring a plane to you when the wind is pushing the plane away.
Have fun go fly!