Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Please help a total noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
MCSS Aerocoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help a total noob

Disclaimer: I would search the forums here first, but since I am such a noob on this, I don't know what I am looking for exactly, so sorry if my answers are out here already. This is my first attempt at any kind of RC car, truck, boat, etc. I am good at putting stuff together, but I just have no clue (yet) on how RC cars work.

Project: find/create a RC 1966 Chevelle for my brother who is retiring from the Army next month. Scale, brand, type, does not really matter as long as it is at least a 1:24 scale or bigger. Top speed does not matter, as long as it can run around for 15 minutes or so at a time at a decent speed just for fun. I am hoping to spend under $200. for the RC frame and guts...

Problems:
1. Can't find a RC kit for 1:24 (to use a plastic model body)
2. Only '66 Chevelle body in 1:18 or larger I can find is the ERTL die-cast 1:18 model
3. The model has a wheelbase of 6.5 inches, closest RC frame I have found has been the Duratrax Vendetta TC EP.
4. Been told the weight of the die-cast body will cause a stock motor to barely move the car, and the batteries will die within 5 minutes, most likely.

I contacted the Duratrax customer support with this problem, they suggested I come here and find out something about a brushless system. But since I have no idea what "brushless" would be, I am not quite sure what I am trying to find. I would be happy with one of those clear plastic bodies, but I have been unable to find one for a '66 Chevelle.

Thanks, very much, in advance for any and all help.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
skottoman

Default RE: Please help a total noob

You may be able to retrofit the diecast onto an HPI Micro RS4. Look them up. It would be very slow though.<div>Although it would be difficult, and experienced modeller could probably do it.</div><div>
</div><div>Looks like you're going to have a tough time finding something. </div><div>Cheers,</div><div>Skottoman</div>
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
MCSS Aerocoupe

Are there any advantages for the HPI Micro RS4 over the Vendetta TCEP? The Vendetta is adjustable to within 1/8 of an inch of the right wheelbase. But splitting the difference makes it 1/16 off on the front and back, and I think a slightly smaller tire will more than compensate for that since there is extra space in the wheel wells anyway.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
skottoman

Micro RS4 is adjustable from 140mm - 150mm wheelbase I think. Also width is adjustable about 8mm.<div>Again, look up the specs on google if you can.</div><div>
</div><div>I don't know anything about the Vendetta</div><div>
</div><div>Best of luck.</div>
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
MCSS Aerocoupe

Vendetta is about 160mm, the ideal wheelbase is 165mm. But the Vendetta is adjustable to about 163mm, so only 2mm off. Besides, that isn't as big of a problem as the power to weight problem...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
NerRepn815

only other problem is they dont have to much of a supply of micro rs4 on hpi racing. all parts are discontinued. i got a bmw and i think maye hte vipers r available 160mm