Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What to use for vacuuming wings?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What to use for vacuuming wings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 05:49 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to use for vacuuming wings?

Hello All! A friend and I are tinkering aroung with vacuum bagging some foam wings we have made. What would you use for the vac bags Or is there a way to make the bags ourselves? Any help in this area would be appreciated or if you guys have any tips on this , we would be greatful! Thanks! John McGowan
Old 04-01-2002, 05:51 PM
KevinSheen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the tube material (sealed on two sides) available from ACP or CST. They also sell clips to close the ends with. I first bought a 36" wide tube but switched to the 18". I almost always get a very good seal and it is faily easy to get the wing into the bag and then seal the ends with the clip. I think ACP sells it for 4.25 for 3 yards, fairly cheap and I can reuse it numerous times.

www.acp-composites.com
www.cstsales.com

good luck,

kevin
Old 05-22-2003, 12:17 PM
hayman

Check out;
http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=237&id=4169

or;

http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm
Old 05-23-2003, 05:32 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

I use 1.0 mil clear Lawn and Leaf Bags. To seal, I use a c-channel clamp from a window insulation kit. Since it's a bag, it only needs to be sealed on one side.

The disadvantage to the thin material is that it'll develop leaks after a couple of uses. The advantage is that it conforms to corners very easily and is less likely to crush balsa at the overhangs.

I've heard of people using 2-3 mil drop cloths if you like thicker.

If you don't mind spending the money, I'm sure the polyethelene tubing sold by ACP and CST and other plastic suppliers is probably the way to go. If you're cheap like me, you'll keep your eyes open for big clear garbage bags. Just make sure you get something big enough for your wings. Drum liners seem to be the biggest at 55 gals or so, but I haven't seen them at my Home Depot in clear.

You'll also have to figure out some way to attach the vacuum tube to the bag. Again, there's equipment from CST and ACP, or you can make it yourself. The critical consideration is how to keep the bag from collapsing on the vacuum tube and that you can spread the vacuum throughout the bag. Some methods which you can try are as simple as poking a hole in the bag, inserting the tube, placing a paper towel below the opening of the tube, and sealing the poked hole/tube junction with rubber cement.

Good luck with your bagging.