Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

removing hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

removing hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 PM
airmaquito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing hinges

Hi:

I´m putting together an ARF Giles 202. As I glued the ailerons to the trailing edge with CA, I realized the position was not right. The aileron is too far out ( a little bit slided to the outside of the wing) and it comes a little bit over the outside of the trailing edge.
So I guess I´ll have to remove the hinges and do it again. The hinges are made with some kind of paper or something like that.
The question is: Can I use debonder to take the hinges out and place the aileron better, or do I have to cut the hinges, remove them with a knife, and try to put in new ones???
Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default removing hinges

Cut the hinges, create new slots next to the old ones, and redo them. Never use old slots again (learned this the hard way).

Why, you ask....simple.....the ca wicks into the wood in the slot bonding the hinge to the wood. You can take the old hinge out but there is no way to take the ca out of the wood in the slot.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 PM
airmaquito

Default removing hinges

Thanks a lot. I think thats what I´m gonna do, because I´ve allready aplied the debonder a few hours ago, and there is no way to take them out anyway.
Thanks for the advice.

Charlie
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
mulligan

Default removing hinges

Make sure you don't cut your new slots in wood that is now soaked with debonder- your new hinges might not adhere properly!!

- George
Old 07-19-2003, 08:20 AM
airmaquito

Default removing hinges

Thanks for the advice.
I´ve allready put in the new hinges. I think it was better with the original CA hinges, but well, I guess I´ll learn from this mistake. I didn´t know the right procedure for installing CA hinges. Now I know. It´s trial and error to learn.

Charlie