Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 04:23 AM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges

What are CA hinges. My hinges are just pieces of plastic that flex and have a little pin on each side. I have to drill into the wing and insert the pin. Are they held by CA or epoxy?
Old 07-18-2003, 05:10 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default Hinges

If what you are using is actually ca hinges, what you do is insert the hinge into the slot on the wing & install the aileron just like you want it to fit, flex the aileron down & drop about 5 or 6 drops of thin ca right on the hinge between the two surfaces, it will wick into the hinge & into the wood the hinge is slid into, do this on top & bottom of the hinge & make sure it wickes into both surfaces. & thats it.

Gil
Old 07-18-2003, 05:19 PM
MadScientist

Default Hinges

Suit:

CA hinges typically look very porus, and don't have a traditional "hinge" to them. You install tham as per gil suggests. If they are hard plastic, then they aren't CA hinges. Depending on the type of hinge, if you use CA on them, they will work their way loose pretty quickly. I usually epoxy mine in.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:36 AM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hinges

Ok thanks everyone, these are not ca hinges going by the discription. They are plastic and therefore should be epoxied I presume. Thanks