Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

General questons from a gas newb

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

General questons from a gas newb

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
ddavis510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questons from a gas newb

Ok folks,

I had planned on builbing a Falcon cat. It appears to be a very fast hull. I'm also toying with an EXP thunder cat, and Topsecrets Gen 2. Anyone have any other favorites?

Will a J&G top end go on a CY engine(I found a smoking deal on these in Draper, Ut)?

Will the redline motor coupler work on the CY and rcmk blocks as well as zenoahs(I've sent a couple of emails to Redline with no response)?

Does anyone have a book they can suggest to see how all these pieces go together? all my prior experience comes from a 3.5 outboard tunnelhull. Fun but nothing like this.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

</p>
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Scott Schneider

Default RE: General questons from a gas newb

ORIGINAL: ddavis510

Ok folks,

I had planned on builbing a Falcon cat. It appears to be a very fast hull. I'm also toying with an EXP thunder cat, and Topsecrets Gen 2. Anyone have any other favorites?

Will a J&G top end go on a CY engine(I found a smoking deal on these in Draper, Ut)? No it will not

Will the redline motor coupler work on the CY and rcmk blocks as well as zenoahs(I've sent a couple of emails to Redline with no response)?

Does anyone have a book they can suggest to see how all these pieces go together? all my prior experience comes from a 3.5 outboard tunnelhull. Fun but nothing like this.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

</p>
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM
ddavis510

Thanks Scott.

Anyone have 'required reading' for Gas RC boating.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't seen the Red Line coupler but most people just use the one from Aeromarine and that weill fit the Zenoah, Sikk and the RCMK. When installing most of them on an RCMK though you have to see if you have at least a .005" gap between the coupler and the bearing. I modified all of my Aeromarine couplers by grinding down the end so that there is more gap than that to be on the safe side. I've got maybe 1/16" or a hair more on mine.
In hopes that I didn't misunderstand you as far as what you're calling motor couplers which some might call the motor mounts then the Zenoahs and RCMK's use the same mounts. The Sikk can only use the rear (crank end) mount but not the rear as the bolt pattern and other things are different.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM
tapkoote

I tried to post photos<div>it may be to late at night</div><div>I put togather my first last year mostly from photos i took at a race &amp; alot of questions</div><div>I've got two areo marine hydros W/zens  and a mixtur of their hardware and warehouse hobbies</div><div>Pics" are worth a million words</div><div>can try latertap</div>